ID:2337300

(See the best response by IainPeregrine.)
Code:

Hello everyone, I'm new to coding completely and by that I mean that quite literally. I would appreciate it if someone could show me the ropes and assist me with devloping a game that I have been planning out for the last few years. I have everything mapped out as to what I want and what it should look like I only need people to help me actually make it. I'm not really selfish when it comes to money so a portion of all the money that is made from the game will be given to all who help me make it. Hope to hear from some of you soon :D.:

Best response
Ahoy Reika! Making a video games is a great hobby and making small games with BYOND can be fast and very fun. Larger projects are deceptively hard to finish and can take years - most big projects we see announced are never finished. If you have a game that you've been planning for several years, then it's probably too big to take on as a first project.

I strongly recommend starting with a smaller project. Ask yourself "what's the central thing that makes me excited about this project?" Take that central idea, theme, or feeling and boil it down to one feature. Maybe your game was all about a world full of dragons where you can tame, breed, train, ride, and fight with dragons, and there's a huge story around them. Boil it down to one feature: dragon riding. Now try and make a project with just that, and make it fun.

What skills do you already have, and what are you willing to learn? Every game need graphics, and graphics take time to create. You can use free pre-made graphics, but you may not find a set that has both gun shooting animations and dragon riding. If you choose to start with pre-made graphics, you'll need to choose some that you like and then ask "what fun game can I make with these?" Computer programming is a skill that BYOND makes easy to get into, but no matter what it'll take time to master. You can have a simple game demo going in a day, but don't expect to make a complex RPG menu system for your first project.

So those are my big questions I'd suggest asking yourself: What gets me excited the most about making games? How can I boil that down into a small project? How much time do I have to commit to learning new skills? What am I already really good at?

Finally, consider working on someone else's team, even if it's just drawing one sprite or doing one sound effect. We see a lot of new people with little experience looking to lead teams. If you have friends from school already on BYOND, you could try forming or joining a team with them.

So, what kind of game do you want to make?