ID:234447

(See the best response by Tom.)
PROBLEM: Just on a random day, I tried to log in to my BYOND pager object. (I don't know much of Byond terminology.) I am referring to the BYOND dialog box that stays at your bottom right task bar and you can click on it to see your file, bookmarks, "My Hub", etc.
Anyway, when I open it, and try to log in, it says: "BYOND Hub: connection failed." I can log in to the Byond website just fine.
I also can't play any game now because when I click to play, the BYOND splash screen says "Could not connect to [address]. BYOND Central is not accessible."

What operating system and/or browser are you using? I am on Windows 7, using Google Chrome. But I am sure this is not the problem as I was just on BYOND yesterday and everything was working fine just yesterday. This morning, I woke up, and it's just not working. o.o

What were you trying to do when the problem occurred? I haven't done any recent change to BYOND or my computer. Today, I tried to log in to the BYOND pager/hub, and it fails.

What actually happened, and how did it differ from what you expected?
I expected myself to log in properly.
What actually happened was it said "BYOND Hub: connection failed." Now, I can't play any game either, the splash screen only says "BYOND Central is not accessible."

Explanation of problem occurrence in sequences: 1. I woke up 2. I clicked the BYOND icon bottom right (task bar) 3. Clicked Open 4. The BYOND box opened. 5. I typed my account and password and clicked 'login'. 6. The text says "Validating..." (for 2 seconds) 7. Then it says, "BYOND Hub: connection failed."

Other information: This just happened today and I haven't downloaded anything new recently.

What I've already tried: I have tried clearing cache of Byond(both from the pager and manually from my documents. I have tried reinstalling Byond. I have tried restarting my computer. I have tried different games (no avail).
Hi Arotisan, thanks for providing so much information.

This is a fairly common issue, and there is a number of different reasons why might occur, but the most common reason why your getting a "BYOND central is not accessible" error is due to a misconfigured firewall.

If you can check out the firewall settings on all of your firewalls (you may have more than one) make sure none of them are set to block BYOND.com or anything related to BYOND(BYOND pager, dream seeker, etc).

If you do that and it doesn't help, come back and check out less common reasons of why this may be happening.
Yes, I have added all of the Byond and its related programs (Dream Maker, and Dream Daemon) to the Firewall and allowed to them pass through the wall.

But the program still occurs.
Open the pager and go to File->Preferences->Advanced. Is there anything in the top box that says "Hub Address"? If so, clear it, close the pager, and restart. That should fix the problem. If there is nothing in the box, or if this didn't fix the problem, go to Start->Run->cmd, and type: ping hub.byond.com. Let me know what that returns.
1. My Pager (preferences advanced) had nothing written in the Hub Address.

2. As soon as I run ping hub.byond.com, the command prompt window pops up and displays a few lines and then disappears. Tom, do you want me to take a screen shot of it right before it disappears?
If you run cmd first, and then do the ping from the cmd box, you'll be able to see the output.
My Command Prompt display:

C:\Users\[myname]\ping hub.byond.com

Pinging hub.byond.com [67.228.127.154] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 67.228.127.154: bytes=32 time=101ms TTL=47
Reply from 67.228.127.154: bytes=32 time=97ms TTL=47
Reply from 67.228.127.154: bytes=32 time=99ms TTL=47

Ping statistics for 67.228.127.154:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 97ms, Maximum = 101ms, Average = 99ms
Best response
For some reason your DNS has not updated to the proper address for our new machine. Try cmd, and then
ipconfig /flushdns
then do the ping again. If that does not change the result, then you can manually override this in BYOND. Go back to the pager advanced settings and set the hub address box to:

Then restart and it should work. But I'd like to know why the DNS hasn't updated. Let me know the result of your tests.

[Edit] -- corrected the address
This was my result after I did ipconfig /flushdns:

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

C:\Users\[myname]>ping hub.byond.com

Pinging hub.byond.com [67.228.127.154] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 67.228.127.154: bytes=32 time=100ms TTL=47
Reply from 67.228.127.154: bytes=32 time=100ms TTL=47

Ping statistics for 67.228.127.154:
Minimum = 99ms, Maximum = 100ms, Average = 99ms

-------------------
That was when I performed the configuration flush. The results of the ping didn't seem to change.

Now I am going to try the manual override. Be back in 1 min.
Make sure you use the address I just added; I had an error originally.
Sounds like his ISP is using poor DNS configurations. He might want to consider changing to OpenDNS.
Wow, Tom. I wrote down the address as you said, and restarted byond. And it is working... ^_^

I can't thank you enough, Tom. Thanks! :)

But is there any way, I could prevent this from happening anytime sooner? Or can I know why it was doing this?
Thanks.

I'm not sure why your machine didn't update the DNS as it was set to expire very quickly. You may want to do as Nadrew suggests and use OpenDNS. You can test if it's working when the ping returns the new address (at that point, remove the override from your pager settings in case we move to a new IP later on).
Yeah, I looked into that OpenDNS. It seems more reliable.
I am going to give it a go.

Thank you for your help guys. ( ^_^)b
I am having the exact problem, no connectivity to the hub[Byond Central] I an using OpenDNS, I have configured my Firewall settings and I have flushed the resolver cache files yet I still cant connect to the hub. I am still in Offline mode and I am out of ideas.

Any suggestions? Also, I am running off of my neighbors WiFi so that might be one of my problems as well.
What does 'ping byond.com' say? (run from Start->Run->cmd->ping)
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Pinging byond.com [50.22.142.18] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 50.22.142.18: bytes=32 time=90ms TTL=50
Reply from 50.22.142.18: bytes=32 time=91ms TTL=50
Reply from 50.22.142.18: bytes=32 time=92ms TTL=50
Reply from 50.22.142.18: bytes=32 time=89ms TTL=50

Ping statistics for 50.22.142.18:
Minimum = 89ms, Maximum = 92ms, Average = 90ms

Sorry the last post was an Old Ping from last night. Here one I did just 2 minutes ago.
Try ping hub.byond.com as well. That should return 50.22.142.19. If that is correct, please confirm the steps I've suggested above (regarding pager->advanced->hub address).
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

ping hub.byond.com

Pinging tesla.byond.com [50.22.142.19] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 50.22.142.19: bytes=32 time=92ms TTL=51
Reply from 50.22.142.19: bytes=32 time=90ms TTL=51
Reply from 50.22.142.19: bytes=32 time=89ms TTL=51
Reply from 50.22.142.19: bytes=32 time=90ms TTL=51

Ping statistics for 50.22.142.19:
Minimum = 89ms, Maximum = 92ms, Average = 90ms

Here we are.
I already had all of the advanced preferences set, yet I still cant establish a secure connection to the hub[Byond Central]. I have been using Byond since 02 and this is my first problem I have come across.
Page: 1 2