ID:2345635

Resolved
Images were not being shown in many cases where the object they belonged to was out of view and not known to the client at the time the image was sent.
BYOND Version:512.1408
Operating System:Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 63.0.3239.132
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Has anything changed in regards to images and their planes? Our (SS13, ofc) codebase is having a weird problem with the AI's visibility. Basically whatever is out of sight is applied an image to break their line of sight with the turf. This seems to have stopped working until I reset the plane from 2 to 3 and back to 2. From then on its back and working.

Here is an image; I have set the ones that are visible manually from plane 2 to 3 and back again. Which made them re-appear:

https://puu.sh/znyhM/b86296252a.jpg

I have downloaded 512.1406 which shows everything correctly:
https://puu.sh/znyvt/54db01c4fd.jpg

So I believe the issue was introduced in the latest patch.
MrStonedOne already established there's a problem with images not being shown. I've got a fix ready to go today. I may as well use this bug report as the one that gets the note, though.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Images were not being shown in many cases where the object they belonged to was out of view and not known to the client at the time the image was sent.
The hangs that were gone in *1408 are back.
Good gads!

Which project shows this? I've checked a number of the test projects I was using and none of them demonstrates a hang in 1409.
I was able to get a hang in ss13, but not in low memory mode. so i'm trying to figure out why.

I was not able to get it in my test project.

Very likely we are seeing something that depends on uninitialized memory or some sort of collision of two different kinds of id numbers (think along the realms of the proc calls getting swapped bug that required collision of a typeid and mob id).

Anything that comes to mind we could try poking and prodding at?
In response to MrStonedOne
MrStonedOne wrote:
Anything that comes to mind we could try poking and prodding at?

No, nothing. The extra sanity checking I added should have prevented this kind of thing from happening again. I'm quite baffled, but as soon as I have a test case I'll jump right on it.