ID:2352096

(See the best response by Kaiochao.)
So, I would like to use Byond as a game dev software but I want to know first, if people would need to download Byond first and get an account before trying to play.

Like, exporting games to Steam or any website, do people need to download Byond (the entire software + launcher + account) to be capable of play the videogame or can I just make a exe without any further requirement?
Best response
You can make an exe, but you need special permission to do so from the BYOND staff by using the contact form (click Contact Us at the bottom of the website).

Of course, the exe can then be run without having BYOND installed.
"You need special permission from the BYOND staff"

Unity/Unreal: "reeeeeeeeeeeee"
In response to PrinceCuck
Unity and Unreal require you to buy a pro license after you've made a certain amount of money. BYOND doesn't have the luxury of waiting that long.
Doesn't matter, we live in the age of convenience being the most important marketing tool.
I must admit, it is a major inconvenience having to use a contact form, especially if you've sent a request twice and got no reply.
In response to Doughy One
BYOND is a one man team, though. Give Lummox time.
I remember a few years ago, there was a BYOND game released on steam, which i think is a huge success for BYOND in general. There aren't many 2D nostalgic people out there, and i don't know if the game was a success or not but in general a pretty big deal imo
In response to Tafe
NEStalgia.