The Beatles are the most recognisable band in the world, song wise.
Wildrogue said:
Actually, I'm positive Britney Spears is the most recognizable artist in the world.

A NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHES

Elvis: ah-huh-uh
Actually, Queen is overrated much like most Rock bands. The ones that broke away from the typical Rock structure - King Crimson, Yes, Pink Floyd, LZ - are more relevant than the rest of the bands.

Click here: "http://www.anus.com/zine/articles/rock/"

Going strictly on popularity, the Stones or the Beatles are probably the most well know.
Hrm, I think a number of performers probably edge Queen out.

The Beatles have a slew of famous hits and albums.

The Rolling Stones also, and are still prolific tourers and promoters (Their 2005 tours set a record for highest grossing EVER).

Elvis is one of the biggest performance figures ever.

Madonna continues to make millions and set the stage for performers like Britney.

Other biggies: the Eagles, Elton John, Rod Stewart, U2, and Jimmy Buffet (hey, he has Maragaritavilles everywhere!).

And, of course, there is Michael Jackson....

REO Speedwagon *snicker*
Gordan, dont ever say Metallica is over rated. They have sold over 90 million albums. And there a rock icon, and possibly the best rock band ever.
Michael Jackson could possibly edge them out as well.

But Beatles and Rolling Stones, no. Among older generations, yes, but neither of them have many songs that are well known outside their fans in younger generations.

Those for Queen songs, on the other hand, are known throughought man, many generations, whether or not they were fans of Queen or not. You didn't have to know the band to know those songs.
Enter sandman, is a well known song, and if you notice something with metallica, every song on master of puppets, ride the lightning, and justice for all, and the black album and others, are all good. You can let the album play through. Queen only have a few songs that there known for. I can name 10 metallica songs off the top of my head that are way better.
They may be an icon, but they're still overrated.

However, the point of this topic was about how well known the songs are; Enter Sandman is known through many generations, but unlike Queen, it isn't known to a huge number of people, since many of them don't listen to Metal. And beyond Enter Sandman, Metallica doesn't have many truly huge songs. Many are popular with metal/hard rock fans, but beyond that, with people that don't listen to Metallica or the like, they aren't well known.

And actually, Queen has well more than a few songs they're known for, their hits are arguably more numerous than Metallica.

Also, no, not every song on those are good, at least not to me. I prefer someone who can actually sing, as opposed to orally raping the mic(And my ears). Most of his vocals, like much of metal, are not that great.

I'd rater listen to some of the safter-voice Megadeath, or even better, Anthrax or Slayer :)
How are they overrated, I think they have gotten everything they diserve, and if anything they are underrated.
Enter Sandman personally i think is one of there bad songs, i just listed it because thats the song that most people know. But you cant really say that Queen is more well known. How can you be so sure. Metallica was huge in japan, and all of europe. And they dont have many HUGE songs, cuase all of there songs are great :P
Metallica WAS huge....among fans of the genre. But, since many people get their music from the radio, and many radio stations don't play Metallica or the like, They haven't heard much Metallica.

On the other hand, Many of the most commonly listened to radio stations play Queen, not to mention their songs are all over the place.

If you're honestly going to try and say that ANY Metallica song is better known than We Will Rock You or We Are the Champions, you're delusional.

Oh, and Metallica's hugeness pales in comparison to Queens in both Japan and Europe :)
haha, well we really cant argue who is more well known. But i dont think qeen sold over 90 million records in there time. And i like metallica, cause it has it all, they go heavy with master of pupets, and soft with nothing else matters, and fade to black.
You like Metallica because it has it all....only it doesn't, really. It has a little variation.

Queen has far more variety than Metallica in its songs. Jazz, Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Glam Rock, Punk Rock....Queen has done nearly every genre.

And yes, it would be safe to say that Queen has sold 90 million albums.
Everyone knows Ozzy Osborne. He winz
Everyone knows the songs by queen stated in this post. They may not have been the best, thats not the point. Everyone has heard 'We will rock you' or 'We are the champions'.
Everyone knows the song 'happy birthday' thus Patty Hill is the best known singer of all time.
Thorg wrote:
Everyone knows the song 'happy birthday' thus Patty Hill is the best known singer of all time.

SO TRUE
Actually, Big, if you're talking about just Ozzy, lots don't know his stuff, Crazy Train is probably the best known.

But Black Sabbath....Iron Man. That's about it :)

And Thorg, did she originally sing that? Even if she did, what other songs does she have known by everyone?

At least Saruto gets the point :)
Knifo, you should do some research since first off, you're basing quality on record sales, which isn't a legitimate representation of quality. The second problem with your argument is that you assume Metal and Rock is the same thing, yet they are clearly distinguishable from one another, the best example for Metallica being Orion. It is true that their later work is a combination of Southern Rock and Metal, but their most relevant work is within the metal genre, prior to selling out.

Gordon, you also need to do some research considering that quality metal is reminiscent of classical music: this fact becomes more evident in Death and Black metal. They utilize the same narrative structure, they both tell a story, they both are centralized around a main idea/motif/riff/melody, etc. In other words, Metal uses Rock/Jazz techniques and aesthetics to portray a message through the classical structure.

Rock tends to be a lot more redundant; people are often fooled by the aesthetics, specially, the sound into thinking a Rock song is exceptional, yet compositionally, the song is a mess.
Gordon_Freeman wrote:
And Thorg, did she originally sing that? Even if she did, what other songs does she have known by everyone?

No songs just pop out of thin air!
Gordon_Freeman wrote:
Actually, Big, if you're talking about just Ozzy, lots don't know his stuff, Crazy Train is probably the best known.

But Black Sabbath....Iron Man. That's about it :)

At least Saruto gets the point :)

Everyone knows Ozzy because he ATE A BAT
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7