ID:2359702

Development was still a little slow this week because of the whole foot injury thing, but that's been getting better finally.

Most of the work that took place this week was housekeeping types of stuff, but I did put out two releases: one Monday and one today. Build 512.1418's compiler speedup also introduced a pretty serious bug, so that needed a fix, and while I was at it I threw in a new "Compile and Run" feature to always force compile the game before running. Both it and the Clean Compile option have keyboard shortcuts now, too.

Today's release fixes a couple of issues: one longstanding with url_encode() (and a very minor related one with html_encode() that wasn't worth noting), and an odd situation with visual contents on the client end.

While I'm trying to get back to webclient stuff proper, I also have some to-do items in my list for the software. There's a hidden profiling option that deserves a place in Dream Daemon's menu (and Dream Seeker's too), and I need to go through the feature requests to see what else can be squeezed in before 513.

If you haven't become a BYOND Member yet, now's a good time to get right with karma. But you can simply donate if you like, or better yet use BYOND's Patreon to fire-and-forget. Your support keeps the lights on, so thanks to everyone who's been a part of that so far.
Is there any possible chance for the "Compile and Run" to start DreamDaemon under some preconfigured settings? (Just port, trusted/untrusted and public/private/invisible)

The reason I don't use the whole "Run" parts is because if you accidentally run something in safe mode that shouldn't be, you're spammed with an unholy amount of messages asking "DO YOU WANT TO ALLOW X..?"

Could be helpful! Perhaps!
how do you accidentally run something in safe mode
Dm is sensitive about folder names. That's how.
In response to Super Saiyan X
Super Saiyan X wrote:

Just some times, evil BYOND resets itself to "Safe mode" rather than trusted. And god knows what happens next
In response to Laser50
Laser50 wrote:
Super Saiyan X wrote:

Just some times, evil BYOND resets itself to "Safe mode" rather than trusted. And god knows what happens next

that's bc the name of the folder doesn't match the name of the dmb. easily fixable.
That would actually push you into ultrasafe mode. Safe mode is the default when running the world, trusted has to be explicitly specified.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
That would actually push you into ultrasafe mode. Safe mode is the default when running the world, trusted has to be explicitly specified.

wtf do people do that requires ultrasafe?

do that many games actually access files outside of the game folder and call DLLs?

Ultrasafe mode is to prevent a dmb from doing shady stuff, it's only triggered if the dmb isn't in a folder of the same name.

Safe mode is usually more than enough, as it allows full access to the game's directory and DLL calls are deemed safe after one confirmation.

Trusted mode is generally not recommended, as it can allow a dmb to do anything it wants without you knowing about it. It's mostly for instances where you're 100% sure what you're running (like your own stuff).
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Nadrew wrote:

do that many games actually access files outside of the game folder and call DLLs?

If the root folder doesn't share the same name as the DMB, ultrasafe mode will ask permission for any file access whatsoever.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Nadrew wrote:

If the root folder doesn't share the same name as the DMB, ultrasafe mode will ask permission for any file access whatsoever.

I'm aware. I was asking do people use things that even Safe doesn't allow.
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Ter13 wrote:
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Nadrew wrote:

Most of the time people use trusted mode when dealing with DLL/SO files (especially on Linux where you can't confirm access)
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Ter13 wrote:
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Nadrew wrote:

ter, I am completely aware of this. Laser50 originally mentioned getting prompts in SAFE mode (so, assuming he doesn't actually mean ultrasafe; which I already have stated the reason this could be happening), the only other thing that causes prompts asking to allow things is DLL calls and accessing directories outside of the games directory. (which would be the only reason he would need trusted).

regardless, having it default to trusted would be bad bc you could be running some bad shit that deletes system 32.
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Ter13 wrote:
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Ter13 wrote:
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Nadrew wrote:

ter, I am completely aware of this. Laser50 originally mentioned getting prompts in SAFE mode (so, assuming he doesn't actually mean ultrasafe; which I already have stated the reason this could be happening), the only other thing that causes prompts asking to allow things is DLL calls and accessing directories outside of the games directory. (which would be the only reason he would need trusted).

regardless, having it default to trusted would be bad bc you could be running some bad shit that deletes system 32.

Did you try turning it off and then back on?
ss13 won't even run correctly in any mode but trusted
In response to Optimumtact
Optimumtact wrote:

Are there particular issues where a new feature might make a difference for that? IIRC you use shell() and run() for some log-related stuff that might be easier to do another way, or maybe with some feature support.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Optimumtact wrote:

Are there particular issues where a new feature might make a difference for that? IIRC you use shell() and run() for some log-related stuff that might be easier to do another way, or maybe with some feature support.

We moved to a dll for file operations (logging mainly) primarily for this reason:

First two are the two different ways to write to a file in byond (text2file and file << "string"), and the second two are two different dll approaches. As you can see we get over two orders of magnitude speed up.

We will be offloading more and more to this dll. Image/icon operations might be next, mysql is also on the list.

Other ss13 servers have taken similar approaches
No shout-out to the one who got the DLL thing started? =P
Page: 1 2