ID:2367060

Resolved
BYOND now supports Unicode. Internally, character encoding uses UTF-8.

Of special note: While emojis are supported, they are not rendered in color at this time by most controls. The current browser control will render them if you include a @font-face declaration covering the relevant character ranges that displays a color emoji font such as Segoe UI Emoji.
Applies to:DM Language

This issue has been resolved.
I'm not sure how feasible this is while BYOND is stuck on a dated version of IE, but do you think there's a way Unicode support could be shoved in? It's not strictly vital for what I'm doing - at the moment, it's mostly just for ➀, ➁, ➂, etc., which could be substituted with (1), (2), (3), etc. - but it's always been an annoyance that stuff like non-Latin is unavailable even in text boxes, limiting stuff like languages used and the ability to make stuff like classic Japanese emoticons.

Also, emojis. Why even live if you can't << "💩💩💩" and a fart sound to players that set on a specific, inconsequential, and out of the way title on the corner of the map? What a shame.

( although it looks like the post preview button doesn't support Unicode either )
utf-8 wouldn't break anything in byond and be a godsend, but it seems that such important changes for byond to grow are destined to not happen
Moving to Unicode is a tricky business but it's something I actually have thought about.

The trick of it is, you need support for it in "two" places: the backend and the frontend. The frontend is actually multiple places, because it's the byondwin library as well as all of the applications like Dream Seeker, Dream Daemon, Dream Maker, and the pager. (Also the lesser known Dream Deploy, which needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.)

It's projecty, but I believe it actually is doable.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
BYOND now supports Unicode. Internally, character encoding uses UTF-8.

Of special note: While emojis are supported, they are not rendered in color at this time by most controls. The current browser control will render them if you include a @font-face declaration covering the relevant character ranges that displays a color emoji font such as Segoe UI Emoji.