ID:2381248

Resolved
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
In my project, I'm capturing gamepad input from axes using macros, and treating the face buttons as regular old keyboard inputs, as well as capturing all other inputs using an any key macro.

Because of this, I don't want to remap any buttons on the controller at all to keyboard or mouse inputs. At the moment, BYOND's gamepad support assumes that if you don't have any gamepad mappings, that you really do want the default gamepad mappings to be active. Because I'm using the Any macro, this means I'm getting GamepadLeft and arrow key button presses fired through my any macro from the same keypress.

The only workaround to prevent my dpad from being remapped to the arrow keys is to remap at least one gamepad button on at least one controller to override the default set of mappings.

I feel like there are two solutions to this:

1) Before falling back to the default mapping for a game that has no gamepad mappings, also look through the macros list for any of the acceptable gamepad macros, including GamepadRaw.

2) Give the developer a checkbox in the gamepad mapping screen to disable mapping and allow their game to take full control regardless of what the client wants. Or perhaps this could be a CONTROL_FREAK setting.

I think solution #1 is probably more elegant, but doesn't necessarily preclude solution #2.

Screenshot of the setup I'm using, and the problem in action:

If you look at the output window, you'll see that I'm getting outputs for Gamepad direction buttons as well as the arrow keys. All of those outputs are coming from the Any macro, and in the screenshot, I've only pressed the gamepad dpad.
Actually, it looks like I'm able to map GamepadLeft/Right/Up/Down to "None", which I was not aware I could do.

Perhaps this should just be documented instead?

Edit: It appears that this feature request is satisfied by setting a gamepad mapping to none for even just one of the 8 dpad buttons. You may ignore, I think.

Perhaps just a slight documentation tweak in the skin reference stating something to the effect of:

"If no gamepad mappings are included in a game's interface, the default mappings are used instead, which will map the Dpad buttons to the arrow keys. This will cause the Any macro to register both a gamepad directional button and the mapped key on the same press. If you plan on using macros to capture gamepad input, you may wish instead to map any one of the directional buttons to "None", which will override the default gamepad mappings completely."
Lummox JR resolved issue
Added that to the skin ref.