ID:2385873

(See the best response by Lummox JR.)
Problems:

SS13 game: on the yogstation server, when I asked, head coder ThatLing said this one is caused by "recent byond changes", although build 512 didn't show any problems on yogstation in previous months.. (only this version works with the game) but here it goes: After joining Yogstation, the client freezes for minutes with ping jumping to around 16000 thus you cannot really do anything for around 3-4 minutes, then the ping returns to normal. After this, if I'm already in the midgame and I have to restart, usually the client runs ok, but whether I join in or sit in the lobby 1. whenever I connect the first time 2. or after every server restart, the game basically freezes for minutes.

Also, whenever I close the Byond client (even when I had normal ping during the game), the dreamseeker.exe always just stays in the task manager, then I close it, but often I cannot even end the process from there, and I get an error message: "Access is denied". cannot do anything with it..

Best response
Ling is likely referring to a recently-fixed hang that had a completely different cause.

The issue as you've described it reeks to high Heaven of your antivirus software misbehaving. It's the reason dreamseeker.exe can't be closed out of your Task Manager. Based on this I'm moving this thread to BYOND Help because it's most definitely not a bug--or rather, it's not our bug.
In response to Lummox JR
I disabled all sections of my antivirus and internet security (firewall, antivirus, real-time-system protection, etc.) and windows defender, windows firewall, too, plus removed windows updates back until January. Nothing worked.
Again, the problems just simply started to appear, I couldn't link them to anything else than byond or the server.
In response to Lummox JR
The byond.rsc grew to over 700 MB just under half a week and preferences mentions that if byond is freezing that file might be corrupted, but upon folder deletion byond of course recreates it and the problem continues.
Also when the server starts, it freezes and that file grows 30 MB in the meantime, then stops growing, the game unfreezes shortly after that.
I don't believe this is byond, or at least i don't believe it is at this stage

we are delivering 40+mb of content every round due to some incorrect code for our spritesheet css files

for anyone on a bad connection such as myself, this is causing significant roundstart lag

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/issues/39349
In response to Optimumtact
Once I saw it I started to suspect this constant downloading process, too but "bad connection" is an interesting term when I can download faster But from that server the speed is somehow 0.2 MB/second. Either way I don't think the fault is on my side..
Very little of what you posted made sense, but nobody is suggesting the fault is on your side
In response to Optimumtact
I described the problem as it was. Also that the speed was not up to me for that painfully slow downloading process when I had to wait at least 4 minutes in the lobby for just 30-40 MB every time I started the game. You referred to a case of bad connection, but in this case it was not possible to download much faster from that server. Good thing the first problem is resolved.
Nowadays the dreamseeker can be force closed every time even though it can hang in the task manager. Much better, maybe they changed something in the TG code..