ID:2385890

The whirlwind of releases is still happening. As could be expected, changes to the movement system as part of this overhaul brought up a few bugs here and there, which have been dealt with pretty quickly since movement is so important for any game.

In spite of the headaches brought on by the overhaul, things are really looking good. The edge case I discussed in last week's Patreon post is finally dealt with, although I made a huge mistake in dealing with it that meant last night needed a quick-fix release. And then came a new release today, tempting the Friday curse yet again, but at least that issue came from last week's release.

Speaking of Patreon, if you missed it I made a bonus post on Wednesday to explain all the work I did last week on shoring up the addition, multiplication, and bitwise operators in the compiler. I went in depth about the mathematical reasons behind the change. As usual all the under-the-hood stuff is available to Patrons with early access, but everyone else has to wait a week. And oh yeah, today's post is more movement overhaul stuff.

Next week, I hope to drive the movement overhaul to its conclusion. Followed by inevitable bug fixes, and then re-conclusion, and then more fixes, and conclusion again.

Will the turf image hang pop back up? It did this week, but once I realized why it all made sense. I think we might be done with the image hang! For real this time! Yes I need to say it with exclamation points!

It's supposed to be a nice weekend here. I hope yours is great too, especially if you've helped to support BYOND through Membership, donation, or by Patreon. And if you haven't, I still hope you have a nice weekend but not quite as nice as our supporters deserve.

🥓
A few Questions:

1- Is Patreon a monthly subscription type donation? Or a one time thing?

2- Any hints for upcoming features?

3- Is the forum searching delay horrible to fix? I get gateway time outs constantly.

And a suggestion, "designer" types should get the high level view of how the feature you are working on helps them. Not always applicable but always good to keep in mind.

Keep up the good work!
In response to 2DExtremeProductions
2DExtremeProductions wrote:
A few Questions:

1- Is Patreon a monthly subscription type donation? Or a one time thing?

2- Any hints for upcoming features?

3- Is the forum searching delay horrible to fix? I get gateway time outs constantly.

And a suggestion, "designer" types should get the high level view of how the feature you are working on helps them. Not always applicable but always good to keep in mind.

Keep up the good work!

For the forum searching: There's a temporary "fix" by going to google.com and searching for what you would've searched here, but add "site:byond.com" to the query.

It doesn't catch as much as it should, but it's something.
In response to Bravo1
Oh, that is helpful! Thank you!
Wait... there's a Patreon now? So now I'd have to pay in order to get access to the information I should know about anyways in regards to BYOND?
In response to Spunky_Girl
Spunky_Girl wrote:
So now I'd have to pay in order to get access to the information I should know about anyways in regards to BYOND?

No
In response to Spunky_Girl
Spunky_Girl wrote:
Wait... there's a Patreon now? So now I'd have to pay in order to get access to the information I should know about anyways in regards to BYOND?

Nope. On Patreon I like to post about things that are supplementary to the development news posts, or maybe something a little different. When the post is about under-the-hood stuff, it's Patrons-only for the first week. So Patrons basically get a first look at what's happening deep in the guts of BYOND.