ID:2385942

Applies to:BYOND Pager

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Not sure if there is any particular reason why BYOND's pager doesn't just grab the latest and greatest and install it, rather than updating incrementally one version at a time. If I can just go on the website and grab the latest and greatest, and go from 512.1435 straight to 512.1441, why can't the pager do it?
???it does
It's been doing it for a while now, and it bothers me. Been happening on both my desktop and laptop.
When you update from the pager it always grabs the latest. I'm not sure what you mean.
In response to Lummox JR
If I fall behind on updates, as I mentioned in my original post, it will grab the next update, then the next, then the next, etc, until it's got the latest. If I have version 1439, and the latest is 1441, it'll grab 1440 first, then grab 1441.
BRB. Downgrading to 511 and launching the pager for the first time in years.

EDIT: Update to latest from stable in one big jump.
In response to Ter13
It's been doing this with 512 as well. Not sure if me having the beta release matters versus the stable versions.
In response to Spunky_Girl
Spunky_Girl wrote:
It's been doing this with 512 as well. Not sure if me having the beta release matters versus the stable versions.

Is it possible that the recent releases were so close together that you only think that this has been happening?
When I logged in yesterday to the pager (after not having logged into it for a couple of days), I had 2 updates one right after the other. Quite literally went from 1439 to 1440 to 1441. Like the complete download and installation process for each one. So unless the 1441 update was pushed out within 60 seconds after I let the pager update to 1440 (which is astronomically unlikely), I doubt that's the case.

And like I've mentioned before, this hasn't been the only time it's happened. Whenever I take a short hiatus from BYOND for about a week or more, I'll come back to at least a couple beta release updates. That's when I first started noticing the pager doing this.
Have you ever seen it do this three versions in a row?

If not, I think what might be happening is that the latest link on your pager has gone out of date and is grabbing an older version, and then when the pager reopens, is taking you to latest.
In response to Ter13
Then maybe this belongs in bug reports rather than feature request. I'll log into BYOND's pager for the first time in a week or so, it'll notify me there's an update. I'll press Update and let it do its thing, and then when the pager launches again, it'll tell me there's another update.

I'm not sure if being logged into BYOND's pager for so long that 2 updates comes out will effect it in the manner you're speaking of, though.
You didn't answer my question. Not directly anyway. Has it ever done it 3 times? Because I think my theory of an outdated link could explain it happening twice in a row, but not 3 times in a row.
In response to Ter13
I apologize. I don't think it's ever had to go more than twice. I'll try to keep that aspect in mind if it does this again.
Okay, either way, I think you have a valid feature request on your hands after we cleared up how many times that it's happened in a row.

I think what's happening is the pager never runs the version check more than once, so if you leave the pager open for weeks at a time, that update version might be out of date.

I think a better solution would be running that version check every time the pager regains focus, limiting the version check to once an hour or so. That way this issue is far less likely to happen.
In response to Ter13
Sounds like a plan.

To be honest, most launchers get files pushed to them anytime a developer puts out an updated version. So wouldn't it make more sense for the pager to work in the same manner? Lummox puts out a newer version, so he would push an update to every pager already logged in to notify them and update the "link" you're speaking of.
Doing a push is way more complicated than a pull.

The main issue really is like Ter said, the pager was simply up way longer than anticipated. Those three releases in particular were also very, very close together, which is a fairly unusual turn of events.

It might be best to alter the code so that when you're about to download an update, it re-does the version check if it's been longer than a certain time frame. That way it's not polling on every focus change.