In response to Orange55
Orange55 wrote:
I'm new to GiaD. There's a part of me that fears I'm going to come up with something slightly worse than a pong game o_o

We've had pong games submitted before - no problem with that :) The experience of wrapping up a project and making a deadline is what's important. Pong is better than "I was making a MMORPG with crafting and procedural world generation, but submitted nothing."

Just keep repeating: Fuck it - Ship it!
To be fair, a pong game with smooth bounce physics would be super impressive.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
To be fair, a pong game with smooth bounce physics would be super impressive.

I want to write a George Gnome pong game now. Make it from the side view; tiny gnomes on the ground and a huge net in the middle; you can move your gnome left and right to meet the incoming ball.
Only if you can randomly lob bombs across too.
In response to IainPeregrine
Just keep repeating: Fuck it - Ship it!

Wise words I shall live by from this day forth.
Ahoy folks! I just wrote a post (a blog post, basically) about how to have a good game dev event when there's a theme involved. If you're waiting for the theme to drop (one more hour to go) might as well head over and prep for the unavoidable "How am I supposed to make a game with THAT?":
http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=2399265&first_unread=1
In response to IainPeregrine
IainPeregrine wrote:
If you're waiting for the theme to drop (one more hour to go)...

Goodbye sleep.

Do we have the weekend to start our 24 hours at any time, or does it have to be only for the duration of our saturday?
Submissions must be in by 11:59pm Saturday night (pacific time), giving you 27 hours total. I'll go over the rest of the rules in a moment.
Okay everyone, the GiaD is on! Your theme is:

Black, Red, Yellow, Green, Cyan, Blue, Magenta

Black, Yellow, Red, Magenta, Blue, Cyan, Green

(Not sure what to do with this theme? Here's some ideas: http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=2399265 )

Clarification Edits: You don't have to use those exact color values. You don't have to use colors. You can take inspiration from the color green, have characters that represent the color red, etc.

Rules for a Good GiaD

Time Frame: Submit your games by 11:59pm US PACIFIC TIME.

Submissions: All participants must send an email to [email protected] before the deadline, including:
* The key of the submitting participant.
* The project source, as an attachment or download url.
* The HUB entry, if applicable.
* Special build info, if necessary (BYOND version / Beta?)

The Game: Games must be made the day of the event. Preexisting libraries, frameworks, and resources can be used - and are encouraged - so long as you make something new with those pieces. Participants can work in teams and publish a game under a team name/key, but an individual must submit the game under their key, and any prizes will be awarded in whole to that individual. Each individual can only submit 1 game. If the submission uses a publicly available graphics pack, please include a link to the pack so we can see that you're not using copyrighted material.

Non-BYOND games: Non-BYOND developers are encouraged to take part in the event, explore the theme with us, and submit a game, but cannot win first place.

Judging: Games will be judged holistically, but primarily on Use of Theme, Fun, Execution, and Vision (game design, unique mechanics, etc).

Prizes: $75 will be awarded via paypal to first place, $50 to second, and $25 to third. Prize money comes thanks to Super Saiyan X and D4RK3 54B3R. Also GooseHeaded will award BYOND memberships to his own honorable mentions, as well as hinting at another prize.

I'll be around for another half hour at least to answer questions about the rules or theme. Good luck!

Also GooseHeaded will award BYOND memberships to his own honorable mentions, as well as hinting at another prize.

This mystery prize will be announced after the submissions window closes.

What I will say, however, is that the recipient of the prize will be democratically elected by the participants of the event!
Thank gosh. That will make this easier...

Kind of going for a ZX Spectrum kinda thing here. This is just a mockup also.

This is gonna be sort of like one of those IO games like agar.io or diep.io. I'm calling it "western.io" even though I don't technically own that domain.
In response to MisterGoober
MisterGoober wrote:
Kind of going for a ZX Spectrum kinda thing here. This is just a mockup also.

This is gonna be sort of like one of those IO games like agar.io or diep.io. I'm calling it "western.io" even though I don't technically own that domain.

This looks amazing!
4 hours left! Polish those submissions and get them in!
I am dropping out of the contest, but I am still working on the game. I want to fully develop this thing and not submit something that is extremely unfinished.

These values and meters can be changed, but I have no map contents, the minimap isn't being copied to the player's screen either. There's no enemy AI, and no game logic whatsoever. However this inspired me to finish this to the end and host it for free via:

https://www.mr-goober.com/western-io/
I must've lost like 20 pounds in these past 60 minutes.

Hooooly cow.

I made a neat picture based on the mockup.
There weren't many updates on games... were there no participants?
There were 3 + my own. The plan is to be back in 2 weeks with judging results, but maybe I can push that up by a week given the number of games needing to be judged.
Page: 1 2 3 4