ID:2400799

Applies to:Dream Daemon

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
I feel that, at this point in time (we're in 2018, people!), BYOND could certainly use full IPv6 support - the IPv4 address space may not be exhausted yet, but it will be, soon.

BYOND needs to add support ASAP, I'm pretty sure you don't want to turn away (or in this case, refuse to connect to) new users because they only got an IPv6 address available. I know this might be a huge undertaking, but it needs to be done.
I for one am suffering with BYOND due to CGNAT, since my ISP provides me with a fully working IPv6 address to every device in my LAN, but my IPv4 is CGNAT'ed, making me unable to host worlds inside my own computer. I'm pretty sure you folks have thought about it in the past and decided it wasn't worth it then, but right now in 2018, things are looking quite ugly for IPv4. It's only a matter of time.
It is indeed a huge undertaking. Quite a lot would have to be changed to handle this, not just on the software side but on the site as well.
Yeah, I'm an amateur developer, I can understand why you wouldn't want to do it. But like I previously mentioned (and I'm pretty sure you already know), the IPv4 address space is getting exhausted fast, and when it does, new devices will only be able to get an IPv6 assigned to them. And what is worse is that most devices that already had an IPv4 today will simply switch to the superior protocol ASAP, in an effort to getting IPv6 everywhere to allow compatibility between the old and newer devices. Some devices obviously won't be compatible, but that can be remedied by NAT64 and other technologies.
Super late to the game, but I'd also like to request this.

More and more individuals are becoming more and more dependent on CGNAT or IPv6 for utilize their internet connections.

The former effectively means they have no control over their own ports and can't host/connect to someone who needs specific ports, as CGNAT is managed by the ISP.

Supporting IPv6 is really the only way around this issue--most ISPs are moving in the direction of IPv6 (or already have), which opens the door for resolving this issue.

Unfortunately, a LOT of software has practically zero support for IPv6, BYOND included.

This issue is only going to grow in scope and size as internet users increase over the next few years; especially as more and more start utilizing newer ISPs.