Genesis

by UnknownHobbit
This is a roleplaying game inspired by Generations.
ID:2427316

Applies to:Formatting

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Genesis has the playerbase.
It has the management.
All it needs now is the rule-set.

The current rule-set is for Dragon Ball Generations, a game that had significantly lower numbers in player base and a lower quality of roleplay. The reason I am suggesting these rule changes is that Genesis could benefit from said changes. And I personally do not want this game to adhere to a Dragon Ball Generations rule-set due to the poor formatting, confusion, and oddity of the rules.

The arguement that, 'It worked on DBG' does not apply here. This is Genesis. Respecting the mechanics, and the aesthetics of Dragon Ball Generations is all fine but the rule-list must go.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/ 7Mb87w018qyvKSQjb4tMHPYsMsR2qGkEbzuInVqkIbeK5_3ckFd6jqRnkn4/ pub

Edit: Having more success through explaining the suggestion in VC. Had a very eventful VC w/ Hobbit for an hour and Manly Pink n' co after that re; how these could benefit Genesis - moreso how WP and RP Mode and various other Combat Rules would benefit.
I agree with this.
+1
I don't know how I feel about this personally.

I feel ultimately the decision should be between Hobbit and the Staff.
I showed this to Hobbit and he asked me to get player feedback.

Most of the issue re; the suggestion is -

Rank Stacking isn't a thing because ranks get hardly anything.
And two, that the Punishment for nerfing Stats is not cool w/ a lot of the DBG olbies.

They prefer just flat bans / boots.
In response to Not A Staff Member
Oh, if he wanted player feedback, then that's good. BUT, I think making this a poll would of been better lol.

And Yeah, Punishments shouldn't personally affect your character. (Unless it's something so bad, you basically get a save wipe)

Bans/boots are the best way to handle problems.

If somebody breaks a rule that legit is really bad, the option of permaban/code bans should be considered, I see that your rules thing mentions nerfing stats, which just isn't cool.
Players can be reformed. And bans are known to not fix anything.

Players may have not reformed much on DBG, but, that is due to the rules of that game and its management. It offered no chance to reform.

Its ruleset was anti-growth, and anti-rp.

Hence the more lenient punishments that still enable them to be in the game, whereas a ban disables that. What may be nerfed from that 5% deduction in offence, strength, and force is a fraction of what they miss out on during a ban duration.
So, I hate double posting, but I'm going to post some of the rules I have a legit issue with, and shouldn't be included at all.

"Any hostile action that may result in injury or death or whote intentions are injury, death, or robbery must include a Malicious Intent tag at the end of the emote in a bracket, including the target of the intent."

I shouldn't need to state Violent intent, The target should read my RP, and comprehend I'm going to do something evil. I shouldn't need to blatantly come out and say "Hey I'm gonna kill you"

"Forfeiting The Rank:
Please try and forfeit the rank through IC, which enables a continuation of the rank through other means. Do not abruptly quit, or suicide your character as that will put you on the DNR indefinitely."

This should be up to the Rank holder, not a rule. If a rank holder wants to step down without appointing somebody else to the rank, they should have the ability to do so without being punished. Cause sometimes there just isn't a legitimate candidate ICly for a rank. Which case of course it just goes back to needing to have somebody get the rank requirements for the rank.

"Any party present may request INF or for response time in order to act in the coming scenario. Anyone that has the Roleplay ‘!’ is considered to have asked for INF.
The maximum INF can be used for one party is 5 minutes.
The other party should use five 60 second cooldowns, after the first one’s completion the scene is locked and those who arrive must adhere to the entry rules.
INF would require a rp mode (or something)"

Infinite timing is a bit of an issue to balance in itself. Due to some people taking advantage of it to use third party programs to get people to help them (I.E I get in a situation, and pop on skype to call my clique to help.) I think ultimately the solution to the issue isn't to limit inf, but to punish people who do this heavily, (possibly give them a permaban)

"Entry Rules: Arriving to a combat / hostile scenario will not immediately enter you into that combat.
Upon arrival you are a witness and must roleplay your arrival.
If player crossed z-planes they are locked out from the scene.
If player is present on the same z-plane they must wait 10 minutes."

I disagree with these two things. You shouldn't be locked out of a specific Z plane for 10 minutes. If my character gets a telepathy from somebody stating they need help, I should be able to cross multiple Z planes to get to them (long as it makes sense) Since Telepathy's been changed to only work contacts, you don't have the same issue you had in DBG anyway. The same goes for needing to be forced to stay in the same Z plane for 10 minutes. If I'm being chased by somebody, and I got someway to get off that planet, you don't think I'm going to use it? Instead if it's such an issue, the time for running should be increased to something like 10 minutes before the chaser has to give up on chasing the target.

"400% Beams:
Spreading your 400% beams throughout the game is not allowed.
Have your IC determine whether or not your ‘student’ is worthy of the 400%. Try and be selective, but gregarious. This does not mean the whole server, but if someone does deserve it - teach it."

Disagree with this. The creator of the 400% Beam should be allowed to be as stingy or as giving as they like. The only ranks that should be "Required" to teach are Acad masters, since that's what their whole rank is about.

"Saiyans born on Vegeta, to Saiyan parents should adhere to the culture and naming theme - Vegetable Themes.
Namekians born on Namek should adhere to the culture and naming theme - Joke names re; Puns or Instruments."

Disagree with this, you should be allowed to name your character whatever you want. I get that in DBZ a lot of the names were puns, but you shouldn't force players to follow the naming trend if they don't wish to.

I feel that the rest of the rules are alright, Although, I still wish that the main ones you list that had stat nerfs, just had simple bans/boots instead of insisting to bring RT/FINALE/DU style rules into the game.
But it's not though. Some players aren't going to learn, they'll break rules to try and get themselves to the top.

I get that you want to enable people to learn, and you feel that having stat nerfs helps with that, but, I entirely disagree. If somebody breaks a rule, it should be explained what rule they broke (warning) If they continue, (Boot/ban) If they still continue (ban longer) And if they still continue, well, that's when perma/code bans should be on the table.
A lot of the rules are brain-stormed. The rules on Genesis are so vague, and hidden that I couldn't really compile a proper list.

I'll edit it and let you know.
Wow, that's all I got to say.

For none rp you get a such a huge nerf? I always none rp, but most of the times it's to help people, they might not agree with it but my intentions were clean. That and I none rped delimb 2 people since the start of the wipe, due to "accident" and some admins, not saying these ones will not tolerate it at all and would deem this to be on purpose, rather than an accident. Nerfing players should never be a thing, it's too extreme.

IF anything we should stick with Warning, Boot, Ban.

Ban should typically start from 24 hours, 72, 1 week, 2 week, 1 month and then permanent ban.

Nerfing a player should only happen if enough evidence is gathered that they have in fact been abusing. Again not saying these admins, but some admins jump to conclusion and be like "Ok, he abused, looks like we have the right to nerf his ass"

WE need rules which are fair and don't decrease the PB even further. 5% nerf could be a deciding factor of you dying or not.

Again, don't add in this nerf thing it is completely stupid, only time a nerf is needed are for abuse of the mechanics which helps one gain stronger.
In response to InfinityStarz
Re; the nerfing.

5% is a small amount to what you would miss out during a 24h, 72h, 1 week, 2 week, or 1 month ban timer.

5%, 10%, 20%. Is nothing if you consider the gains that you would be missing out of throughout that ban.
No one will get a ban 1week or 2 week ban for none rping though. No one is that stupid.
The thing is my dude, We're coming at the stat nerf stuff, from the angle of, it's much, like much more simpler to just do warnings, boots, bans.

The reason this combo is so effective, is because players who want to learn/do better, will understand what rule they broke, and would understand how to avoid it in the future. If you got punished because you were a new player, and you lost stats for it, you'd feel fucking terrible. You should never lose stats for the sake of breaking rules.
Not going to go into detail because off how late it is for me, however, I am not a fan. Looks like a rip of RPT's ruleset with some additions to make it look 'original', plus some of these punishments and rules are just.. no, dude.
EZing shouldn't be a rule it's pretty non existant on DBG and if it's done it offers negligible benefit, that works for RPT sure but not here.

I reckon let stats be docked for repeat offenders, it will send a strong wake up call to abusers.
Updated the punishments.

And added some random bits.
This rule list is largely a no. However, I'd like to explain a bit of my reasoning.

Firstly, the system of hard-listed offenses and punishments doesn't allow for admin prerogative when dealing with problem players. That, paired with the 'Player Protection' rule under title 3 would give players too much legitimacy against admins. During the recent wipe, there was a consistent playerbase of 100+, 80% of them new players who aren't familiar with how DBG is. Giving such a large, unaware playerbase such rule-backed power against the 3 or so admins is unfair to the admins and hampers their ability to efficiently solve offences.

As for the rules themselves, such as they are. Non-RP and 'obscene' roleplay are already covered, as well as the arbitrary punishments for non-rp isn't needed. The EZing rule needs to be removed outright. For one, the whole 'EZing check' doesn't need to be a hard rule. People need to go to the bathroom or grab food, and 30 seconds isn't nearly long enough to detect true EZing. Furthermore, the punishment of altering or stunting character progression is not an acceptable punishment. Warnings and ban times are sufficient.

Moving on to General 'Laws' (should be changed to General Rules). For title 2, 1 naming can and should be automated by a line of code. It's very easy to just automate capitalizing the first letter and removing symbols (or just rejecting names that don't align with the parameters).
Title 2, 2d should be reworded. All accidents are IC, bugs included, up until the point that an admin declares it (bug related accidents) reverted.
Title 2, 4a should be it's own rule.
All of Title 3 is completely unnecessary.
Title 4 claims the Cardinal planets exist in the living realm. Just a typo, but still.

Title 5 is just...no. Entirely no. It needs to be removed in its entirety. Firstly, the tag at the end of the RP is annoying and ugly. Secondly requiring any combat RP to be 3 lines or more doesn't need to be enforced. Naturally, 3 actions will take up about 3 lines, but multiple actions can be described on a single line. Combat doesn't need novels.
Mandatory infinite time is a detriment to combat as a whole. Not everyone has time to wait a century for someone to doll up 3 actions worth of typing. Sure, it's nice to have when both parties are consenting, but it should not be the default. The wording is also weird, 'INF' stands for 'infinite', limiting it to 5 minutes means it's not infinite. It's 5 minutes.
Then the whole process gets mucked up with 'phases' and stuff like that, it's all pretty arbitrary. A 60 second countdown for 3 actions, plus any counters or added participants within that countdown is fair. Anything additional (such as extended time, skipping the cd entirely, or pure verb) can be added at the consent of both parties.
Rule 7 isn't needed, as is already covered in pre-existing rules. It's also odd in that it's written to imply characters still exist in the game when the player logs out.

And lastly, the willpower mechanic is just stupid. It further complicates combat unnecessarily, and by your own admission in its description claim it comes from RPT, which is grounds enough to have it excluded in my opinion.
In response to Trazz666
First of all, thank you for a detailed reply.

I would like to cover a few of your points loosely.

It should not matter if the rules listed in this suggestion are listed already in-game. This suggestion is more towards formatting, with the fluff - being rules - added in to further expand said format.

I have had to revise the punishments, for example, to fit the replies / suggestions by DBG players. It's forever evolving, and may be scrapped all together. I do have issue with the current rule-set, as it invites grime, and confusion due to its very lack-lustre approach and 1 liners.

My intent is not to make Genesis like RPT. My intent however is to suggest a feature that has made verb, and the environment of said verb - more enjoyable. This is where the WP mechanic comes into play. It does not introduce elongated fights. It introduces structure to the verb, and roleplay scene.

As it stands without WP. You can near instantly kill your opponent. Your ideal goal is to churn out as quick a roleplay as you can, and send them to the afterlife. KO > Kill. Without much structure, or set-up. The WP mechanic will provide a foundation for which that combat, knock out, and kill roleplay can grow and produce a quality scene.

It also makes spam-fleeing, zanzoking, running about, and various other fight prolonging tactics to be not that effective.

From what I've experienced in the Test Wipe. And from what I've watched of old DBG Fight Scenes. If you weren't 1-10 shot, it resulted in a long, drawn out fight of zanzoken manuvering to regenerate, all the while trying to halt your enemy's regeneration with sneak-attacks before running again.

The malicious intent tag is to make larger fight scenes edible. Provide more clarity to who is attacking who. As it stands someone could roleplay attacking multiple people in a roleplay, and do just that. Without designating a target, they can adequately grime.

With that said, I intend to play the game regardless. It's a fun casual experience.