ID:2428761

I have spent around 4 years trying to learn to code on Byond on and off, but I have not been successful, does anyone have any advice they could give me or willing to walk me through how it works?
I've got some advice, if you want to learn how to program, then stop wasting time. Four years of learning, and you haven't been successful? Seriously. What have you been doing all this time? I have been programming for about two weeks now and still am able to get the foundations of a game set in place.

BYOND's language is actually pretty easy to learn, all things considered. I have a few tips for you, if you are willing to follow my advice. As for walking you through it, I;m fairly certain you won't find anyone who has the time to physically walk you through it, as it is a lot to cover. Your best bet, if you want something like that, is to follow tutorials on YouTube. But, in my opinion, that's the worst way to learn.

My advice to you is to do the following things:
1. Read the Guide here on BYOND. It is incredibly helpful with giving you an idea of how to the language works, which is what guides are for, so it does its job well. Start with the guide, read it thoroughly and even re-read it. Link: http://www.byond.com/docs/guide/

2. After reading the guide, another way of learning I've found helpful is to examine other people's works for myself and see how they function if I were to change things. You can do this by downloading from the Developers section, which is linked above on the BYOND website.

3. Just start. The BEST way of learning is doing. Just start programming a game of your own design, going back to the references when you hit a snag, which can be accessed in Dream maker by hitting f1.

In the end, the best way to learn is different depending on the person. I learn through action, so learning by doing is the best way for me. It may be different for you, but doing just the first two tips I stated should at least get you a foothold in the language itself. Seriously though, four years? I know you say on and off, but still... that's a long time. Did you take like month-long breaks or something while learning? I'll give you one last piece of advice: stop procrastinating. If you want to learn something, take the time to follow through with it. It shouldn't take you four years to learn this language.