ID:2430375

BYOND Version:512
Operating System:Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 72.0.3626.119
Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

When working on icons, when compiling OR saving. Dream Maker will randomly close and/or completely corrupt the icon being worked on.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
step 1 : Make DMI
step 2 : change size to 120x120
step 3 : import gif
step 4 : reposition sprite
step 5 : repeat steps 3 & 4
step 6 : save/compile
will ocassionally either close BYOND straight up, or corrupt the icon you were saving.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:

Actual Results:

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Very randomly, but tends to happen quite frequently
In other games?
(Seems to happen more with my sidescroller source, but that's either due to the icons I'm creating or the size of the source.)

On other computers?
N/A

When does the problem NOT occur?

Problem seems to occur even if I revert back to before the new icon editor was added. However the corruption of the icon is an issue that only started occuring with the new icon editor.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

The corrupting of the icon only seems to have occured AFTER the new icon editor was added. Otherwise it will still randomly close no matter the version.

Workarounds:

There is none, it will just randomly happen on the version before the new icon editor aswell.
What 512 version are you using? I fixed several problems of this nature already.
Currently using - Version 512.1464
Okay, so it sounds like there's still an issue in the icon editor. What I need from you is a copy of your .gif, and for you to break down the steps further.

For instance, what did you mean by "reposition"? That sounds like a number of steps were involved, like choosing a tool, creating a selection, etc. I need that insane level of detail.

A video of you doing this would probably be helpful as well. I'd be able to see the steps in more detail myself, leading up to the crash.
So, making a video would be difficult, as it's very random when it does. It either does it, or doesn't. It's not an "everytime" thing, however I can send you the gifs I was adding.
By reposition I'm simply just making sure the "gifs" are at the bottom center of the Editor. https://www.sendspace.com/file/tc88sj
In response to DragonDesend
DragonDesend wrote:
By reposition I'm simply just making sure the "gifs" are at the bottom center of the Editor.

I still need more detail on what you mean there. Break it down into ridiculously tiny steps, like every keystroke, every menu command, every mouse movement.

I'm not sure which .gif you're importing, either.

I think you're definitely gonna need to make a video, just recording each time until you can reproduce this and catch it, because I have no idea what steps you're following and the information I have is inadequate to investigate.
Import any of the gifs
Open up the pixmap/movie editor
Highlight all of the states
Use arrow keys to move them all down to the bottom middle of the DMI.
Make the icon 4 directions
Use the flip on the WEST state
--
Repeat
Have you watched your memory usage in Task Manager during all of this? I'm wondering if that might be a factor here.
https://clips.twitch.tv/FunSwissPelicanArsonNoSexy clip of it happening in real time.
So from what I'm seeing in your stream, you have an "Unable to write [filename]" error popping up there as well.

The video is moving too fast for me, but it does look consistent with what you've been describing.

So far however I've been completely unable to replicate your issue. Here's what I did:

1) Create test.dmi and set its size to 120x120, unchecking "Use size from file".
2) In the main icon editor, import a .gif file from the ones you sent.
3) Open that icon state, and Ctrl+A to select all.
4) Reposition the sprites with arrow keys.
5) Hit the 4-dir button to expand the icon state to 4 directions.
6) Select the north direction (whole row) and vertical flip.
7) Select the east direction and turn counter-clockwise.
8) Select the west direction and turn clockwise.
9) Return to main editor and repeat 2-8 several more times.
10) Save.

Nothing bad happens any time I attempt this. Memory use for Dream Maker in the task manager appears to be very low, so I don't see any issues there. But I still wonder if maybe that's not the case for you, because the kinds of issues you're seeing are highly consistent with memory being exhausted--which would happen if DM approaches 2 GB of memory.

I should add that I've done tests in both the debugger and in release mode as well, and had no trouble either time.

I saw in the stream you were using an icon with a lot of states in it, and importing different .gif files from the ones you sent. Is it possible the icon you have open has a lot of individual frames in it, making Dream Maker's memory use much higher than I've seen in my tests? If possible I'd like to see if I could replicate this with the exact same icons you're using.
Heyo. I experienced a crash WITH corruption earlier, but I didn't have shadowplay running at the time. This time I caught a normal crash, and I had Task Manager running on the side for some clarity for you.

For reference, I'm working with OP on the same project, thus we're working with the same sort of file types, icon sizes, etc.

This video's long (4 mins is my shadowplay capture length), so skip to the last minute or so for all of my steps up til the crash. It occurred as soon as I pressed Ctrl+V to copy over a state, then I tried to save afterwords with Ctrl+S.

https://streamable.com/ncysa (At time of posting video is still processing so keep it in an open tab if it's not letting you view yet)

I'll keep recording trying to capture the crash with corruption on shadowplay if I can. I'm using the same operating system as the OP, same BYOND version as well.
I re-read your last reply and figured I'd add a DL link for the gifs I was importing.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/vljpvy

If you don't like sendspace and have another file sharer I can upload it there instead.
Okay, that second video helps isolate some things. Clearly memory is not the issue, as you're nowhere near taxing Dream Maker in that regard.

Just to confirm, you did a paste then save just before the crash? Because I'm not seeing the paste happen, suggesting that something went wrong with the paste.

BTW you should be able to save some time by using the swap color feature to get rid of that blue mask around certain icons.

What's frustrating here is that this bug appears to be incredibly intermittent. I've had no luck at all reproducing it so far. I'll take a fresh look through the paste to see if that has any impact. It appears copy/paste was happening quite a bit in the other video as well, using multiple frames.
Yeah, as I rewatched the capture it does seem to not be pasting over, thus giving me the "DON'T" icon for a cursor. Definitely seems like something wrong with the paste, at least in this instance. During a corruption event, it'll give the "Unable to read" alert that OP saw in his twitch clip.

Also, yeaaaah I'm a bit of a noob at the icon editing hahaha. I figured you might notice that.

Also yes, it's EXTREMELY intermittent, which is why it's so frustrating. For the record, DragonDesend did mention to me that he notices it a bit more frequently on larger icon sizes, though I'm unsure what exact sizes he uses. Additionally, it seems to be intermittent with which result occurs; corruption, or regular crash.
When you get a crash, are you seeing any details at all in the Windows event viewer? When the application dies it should be leaving behind some telltale in the event log. I strongly suspect that any crash details from that will turn out to be unhelpful, but I'd like to see them if you can find any.
There are some errors being left behind, though the information is rather excessive... also the attached files aren't accessible by me when I try to click to open them, probably because I don't have an app that can open them.

How would you like me to give you all of this information?
In the event viewer you should see details under the error that say APPCRASH and include a bunch of fields below that. I'd like to see the text of those details.
Sure thing. I've also got some WER files I can give you.

Here's the first crash, which had corruption.
Fault bucket 1571513876705183813, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: dreammaker.exe
P2: 5.0.512.1459
P3: 5c132cda
P4: ntdll.dll
P5: 10.0.17134.556
P6: 319e0a75
P7: c0000005
P8: 00044aab
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\\?>\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERF5BC.tmp.m& gt;dmp
\\?>\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERF6B7.tmp.W& gt;ERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?>\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERF6C7.tmp.x& gt;ml
\\?>\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERF6C5.tmp.c& gt;sv
\\?>\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERF6E6.tmp.t& gt;xt

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCr> ash_dreammaker.exe_6b732166cd0aaea2b671ed70395a569ad16cd> 5_3b4c3c01_0f58fa5f

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 2ec94294-99a0-423d-822c-1bc471e96d13
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: cb2adf75b8e25281c5cf238b6c9c0845
Cab Guid: 0

Here's the second, which was a regular crash, and was in the capture I posted earlier. This one created two reports.

Fault bucket 1559476520780754227, type 1

Problem signature:
P4: dreammaker.exe
P5: 5.0.512.1459
P6: 5c132cda
P7: c0000005
P8: 0003ac63
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\\?>\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERE1E6.tmp.m& gt;dmp
\\?>\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERE2A3.tmp.W& gt;ERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?>\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERE2B4.tmp.x& gt;ml
\\?>\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERE2B2.tmp.c& gt;sv
\\?>\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERE2D2.tmp.t& gt;xt

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCr> ash_dreammaker.exe_3efcded847badb73c5e761cb31bede5f933da> 9e5_3b4c3c01_00c5e68a

Analysis symbol:
Report Id: 49eac1c5-b8e7-490d-bedf-f906c8022d02
Hashed bucket: f2b499e8832c951a85a45fa218b2ed33

second one...

Fault bucket 1393174290951886663, type 1

Problem signature:
P4: dreammaker.exe
P5: 5.0.512.1459
P6: 5c132cda
P7: c000041d
P8: 0003ac63
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\\?>\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERE83F.tmp.m& gt;dmp
\\?>\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERE8DD.tmp.W& gt;ERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?>\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERE8FD.tmp.x& gt;ml
\\?>\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERE8FD.tmp.c& gt;sv
\\?>\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERE90E.tmp.t& gt;xt

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCr> ash_dreammaker.exe_f83531d01d46cae067e490dfb7ff3f3308eb9> 62_3b4c3c01_0755ec85

Analysis symbol:
Report Id: dd637b21-7c6b-4380-a37d-7cb496bd2491
Hashed bucket: 5951153e3824d3eae3558ca2e264d747

Is there anything else I can give you?
The BYOND version in those reports is 512.1459, which is five builds back. That build I would expect to crash.

DragonDesend said he's on 512.1464. So it appears the two of you are not on the same build after all. That invalidates the info I got from your stream and puts me back to square one.
Hey guys, any updates on this? Spevacus, have you managed to see any crashes after updating to 512.1464?
Page: 1 2