ID:2465055

Apparently the reason I don't get a zoo day this year either is what's called a "Greenland block", where the stupid stupid subcontinent is trapping air that's messing up everyone else's weather. Anyone got a spare nuke?

Looking at development this week I can't figure out where all the time went. It feels like I didn't get a lot done even though I've been working through, but I think that's because so much of it was testing the new render_target stuff for 513 (and I'm still struggling with the question of pass-through), and not only having to fix some things along the way but doing some more refactoring to get there.

As an example of what I mean, when I was testing plane masters as render targets I overlaid one plane on another with an offset, using transform with a small translation matrix, and of course a small but visible alpha so I could see the two copies superimposed. This worked great right off the bat, but there was a problem: the transformed plane was cut off exactly where the original was, instead of showing me stuff from beyond the original map boundary, even though it had information about those icons to draw. So I had to add code to extend the plane's "source bounds" (effectively, change where icon culling is done in the pre-render), then I had to change how the plane master rendered, then I had to position everything correctly when rendering the offset copy. All of that was a surprising amount of work, and it led me to make some changes on the backend that I think made the code much, much easier to read.

So it's things like that that have sucked up the week. That, and looking at server stuff. I do have another machine reboot due for maintenance soon, but I'm gonna hold off on that till Monday just to be safe. While I don't expect a problem rebooting this time, I also don't want to deal with the possibility till then.

Some work has gone into 512 as well of course, although I didn't look at as many of the reports for that this week as I'd planned. I have to do some catch-up on that shortly, especially since a couple of the issues involve the rendering pipeline anyway and I don't want the code to get so far out of sync that I end up with conflicts everywhere when I resolve 512 with 513.

On a side note, I do think alpha masking is going to be made pretty simple with this render target stuff, and if all goes well I'd kind of like to get on that idea next week. Next week's schedule however may be subject to the vagaries of nature, because it's hard to do a lot of thinky work when you're popping Benadryl.

Thanks so much to all our Members, donors, Patrons, and more for your support. You guys are awesome.
try a second class/generation antihistamine like Loratadine they're non drowsy.
Claritin doesn't work for me. I take Zyrtec daily but when allergies get intense, I add Benadryl. For the most part it's been fairly low-level though, thank goodness. I've had much worse seasons, although who's to say it won't get worse from here.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Claritin doesn't work for me. I take Zyrtec daily but when allergies get intense, I add Benadryl. For the most part it's been fairly low-level though, thank goodness. I've had much worse seasons, although who's to say it won't get worse from here.

ever try something like generic flonase? that stuff is the bomb but requires a warmup period
Nasal sprays don't get along with me.
In response to Lummox JR
It's a corticosteroid, you can stop at any time without any downsides.
Just donated for another 2 years. o7 Thanks for keeping BYOND alive, and feel better soon.

Signed, 2004-too-old-to-be-on-byond-still-but-i-just-cant-quit