ID:2468585

So is there any way to change an icon's directional state without changing the dir var of the thing it's assigned to?

Like... if I wanted to use an icon's SOUTHWEST state while still keeping a mob's dir facing SOUTH?
Is there a reason you need the mob's dir to face a different direction from the icon?

There's not really any way to do this.
My game allows for something along the lines of turn based combat where the players are stationary. I dont allow diagonal movement in the game either so players wouldn't normally even be able to get their dir to a diagonal state without it being set by a proc.

There are various visual effects, prompts, etc that position themselves around the player based on their dir.

I would like to be able to turn my player's icon to a different directional state in certain situations without impacting those already established functions.

Like if a player was fighting say... 3 enemies at once and was facing EAST during the combat to start with and the opponents are facing WEST. I would want the player to face NORTHEAST to face the top opponents when they're acting, face EAST to face the middle opponent, and face SOUTHEAST to face the bottom opponent.

But changing the player's dir to match those directions would throw off the positioning of a number of different game elements.
In response to IceFire2050
Sounds like those established game elements should be based on what side of the field you're on, not the dir you're facing. That might be a lot of work to change, but I think that would be the way to go, and would be worth it in the long run.
Well, I was trying to avoid that if possible, that's going to involve a massive amount of recoding for a relatively minor visual.

I guess once I get that done then, the next question would be... is there a way to return the number of directions a particular icon state has? Like... if its a 1 4 or 8 direction state?

I allow players to use custom icons and if they dont have the states in their icon, I dont want the game to try and change the direction.
In response to IceFire2050
IceFire2050 wrote:
I guess once I get that done then, the next question would be... is there a way to return the number of directions a particular icon state has? Like... if its a 1 4 or 8 direction state?

Only through a dll: http://www.byond.com/developer/DarkCampainger/DMIIconInfo