ID:2468807

(See the best response by Kaiochao.)
https://i.imgur.com/00EautA.png

So I am looking for some advice on this visual I'm trying to pull off.

I am trying to create a visual effect on the icons that makes them appear to be facing in a diagonal direction without changing their icon state or direction.

So right now I'm using a skewing effect on the north/south direction of the icon which sort of works but it kind of gives the icon the appearance of a piece of paper.

I need to pull this off without using diagonal directional states or creating additional states for the icon.

Anyone have any experience doing something like this or advice on how I could possibly adjust this effect to make it not look quite as flat?
Best response
Aside from shrinking horizontally as it's skewed vertically, there's not much you can do to fake what's essentially a 3D transformation (rotating about a fake z axis sticking up out of the ground) with 2D transformations.
I am trying to create a visual effect on the icons that makes them appear to be facing in a diagonal direction without changing their icon state or direction.

The idea doesn't make sense. There is no effect you will be able to apply that will look good and achieve this without investing in extra frames. At least, given your current art...
Just make diagonals for your art? it shouldn't even be difficult using these YGO sprites, you'd spend less time making additional art than you would trying to make that look good