ID:2472393

April-posing-as-May is on the way out, but we bid it a fond farewell as June ostensibly approaches.

Last week I was bogged down with some refactoring in 512 and ended up with a typical snafu in which the mouse changes I made went horribly wrong. I braved the Friday curse with a fix, but the fix didn't go far enough so there was a new release on Sunday, which as you know was not only a weekend but a holiday weekend.

In the shortened week that followed I've been back to 513. I wanted to focus on documentation because none of 513's new features were documented yet, so that's been a big part of the push. And speaking of documentation, I'm playing around with some changes to the reference. Specifically I'm looking to add "bread crumb" navigation where you can see where an article falls in the hierarchy, and I'm also just making some overall aesthetic changes. I want the bread crumbs to work in the Dream Maker reference as well, though that's a trickier beast because those articles are viewed as separate documents. Don't worry; I'll figure it out.

Also there's the question of last-minute features. I've decided to push ahead with vis_flags, which should help make visual contents more useful. This has required a few changes under the hood, some of which I actually think will streamline things in the long run. So far the flags I've got are:
  • VIS_INHERIT_ICON: Inherit the icon of the parent object, like an overlay would if it had no icon of its own
  • VIS_INHERIT_ICON_STATE: Inherit the icon_state of the parent object
  • VIS_INHERIT_DIR: Use the parent's dir
  • VIS_INHERIT_PLANE: Ignore the object's own plane and act as if it had FLOAT_PLANE set
  • VIS_INHERIT_ID: Act like an overlay of the parent object, using its identity (and therefore also its mouse_opacity)
A few others are planned, but that's the gist so far. I haven't built in the var yet, so I'm putting the implementation ahead of that for once.

I want to thank all of you profusely who've helped support BYOND through Membership, donation, or on other channels like Patreon. Especially a big thanks to Medicator for making such a big donation this month. This really means a lot, especially in light of the fact that it's been an unexpectedly expensive year here at home. I'm grateful and will continue trying to live up to the awesomeness you guys deserve.

But enough mushy stuff! We have games to get to, and a band new weekend awaits.