ID:2477329

Resolved
The server did not send sound information properly, which prevented sound.environment from accepting 0 to reset the environment.
BYOND Version:512
Operating System:Windows 10 Home
Web Browser:Firefox 67.0
Applies to:Dream Daemon

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

1. Send to client sound datum with any environment except -1/0
2. Any sounds playing with this environment, as expected
3. Try to reset environment, send new datum with environment = 0

Expected Results:
4. Sounds without environment

Actual Results:
4. All sounds still with environment from 1
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
The server did not send sound information properly, which prevented sound.environment from accepting 0 to reset the environment.
I just tested and while 0 works, -1 does not. Sounds continue to behave as if using an environment.

Not sure if that's intentional or not.

Using 1475
-1 is the default, meaning no change, so that is intentional.
So, for example going from 20 to -1 results in 20? Meaning, once you use sound.environment, it's impossible to turn it off?

0 has it's own different effects and reverb so setting sound.environment to 0 produces different results than if you don't modify sound.environment at all in a project.

Just wanting to clarify that, once you use sound.environment in a project, there's no way to set it back to the way things sounded before you modified sound.environment?
Huh. 0 isn't supposed to sound the same at all.
I'm a bit confused but I'll just try to reformat what I'm seeing, but I'm unsure if it's a different bug or if it's an extension of what caused this issue, so I'm putting it here:

Without using sound.environment, sounds have no reverb or any special effects.

Using sound.environment=0, sounds now have some reverb effects to them. Defined in the docs as "generic".

Using sound.environment=21, sounds have the "Sewer Pipe" effect.

Switching to sound.environment=0 goes back to the generic effect.

Switching to sound.environment=-1 does nothing, and it keeps the last used environment.

Once you set sound.environment to anything but -1, it seems there's no way to stop using them. All you can do is go to 0 but that's just the least expressive of the effects, rather than being no effect at all.

I'm unsure if this is intentional or not.
If there's any issue still it belongs in a new bug report.