ID:2477788

So I'm trying to make use of the wave filter but I'm finding that its difficult to use without it leaving noticeable gaps on anything with multiple tiles.

When you use it on a single icon it looks fine, but if you want to apply it to say... a series of water tiles, you get very noticeable gaps between the tiles where the filter pulls the icon away from the edge. You can mitigate it somewhat by placing a 2nd non-wavey copy below the animation but still doesn't look quite right.

Does anyone have any suggestions for solving this problem?
You only need one wave filter applied to a plane master for the entire plane of water to be wavy. There is still the issue of the water not meeting up with adjacent non-water turfs and the bounds of the view, though.

To fill-in or cover-up gaps between water and non-water tiles, the water would have to extend to underneath adjacent non-water turfs, or the adjacent non-water turfs would have to extend over top of the water.

Using an area, you can show water underneath all turfs: https://streamable.com/nkkqk
Areas are pretty limited, though. Like turfs, they don't stack.
I've never used planes or a plane master before. I was under the impression that was used for isometric maps.

How does the plane var interact with layers?

Looking at the documentation, it seems like i create a single atom, flag it as a plane master with appearance_flags = PLANE_MASTER and then any transformations/filters/blend_modes/etc I apply to it will be applied to all other atoms on that plane.

Does plane replace layers? Or do layers work in tandem with planes?
In response to IceFire2050
In terms of layer, planes are super-layers. Layers are sorted relative to each other within the same plane, and planes are sorted relative to each other.

Planes can be thought of as each being a single icon being drawn in order.

Plane masters are handles to the appearance variables that apply to the plane.
So like...

obj/XX
plane = 1
layer = 15

obj/YY
plane = 2
layer = 8

obj/ZZ
plane = 2
layer = 10

XX would be on the bottom, because its plane is lower, eventhough its layer is higher. while YY and ZZ would be above it because they're on a higher plane?

That's a nice feature. Wish I used it earlier, would have made my life a lot easier.