ID:24863

I've told a couple before recently that I been studying on how DMB files work with each function/procedure. Its rather a dangerous/evil study, but could lead to good. I know I heard stories about decompilers before, but I'm not building one. Theres also a good chance that the information I gathered, will be invalid in BYOND 4.0. Even if it so, I'm still determined to figure out how the file structure works.

Information I gathered will not be made public yet, as there may still be discrepancies with them. If anyone else is interested in gathering information about DMB Files, heres the criteria that I will tell about:

Knowledge of binary is required (Remember the 8 bits = 1 byte deal, as in bytecode?)

Hex Editor with Binary mode supported (makes it easier)

Motivation (yes, motivation is required)

Ya may think I'm making up stories, but this has been proven true so far. Try it ya selves. Thats all of the information I'll provide for now (might be expected to delete if considered a bad practice).
Sounds similar to making a rsc ripper
Only it involves more complex studying (file structure has a way of changing). =P
Not sure if it will help in your studies, but you may want to check out OllyDbg. It's great for getting into running programs to see (and modify!) how they tick. You pretty much need knowledge of x86 assembly to get far with it, though.
If you ever do manage to create a decompiler (good luck! not even dan/tom could), don't release it.
There is an out-of-date decompiler around, but like all decompilers the code it generates absomalutely sucks.
Im not sure if this would be useful, but upx is a useful in the compression and decompression of several types of executable files (not sure if .dmb is one of them). If you're on MSN later I'll send it to you.
I totally agree about not releasing decompilers to the public. Thats one of the bad practices that encourages ripping. I could possibly build one, but do not tend to release (nor give out any information, as there are plenty of beggars out there who want such a decompiler).

I'll make sure I keep ya comments in mind whenever I need them for some reason.