Genesis

by UnknownHobbit
This is a roleplaying game inspired by Generations.
ID:2486405

Applies to:

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
This idea relates to how techies get technology. It's not a major change to how things would work. Quality Percentage would still play the biggest role in how you get things, but the big difference would be that you wouldn't just get all the techs as you reach the required percentage.
Once you reach a certain QP you would instead have a percent chance each month to learn the technology that you've reached the requirement for. To make sure that techies don't have to deal with the potential issue of "I've been trying to figure out swords for a decade now, just give it to me already," the recommendation would be to give techies the ability to teach them to those who already meet the base requirement to learn the technology.

An important clarification is that you would have to meet the base requirement for the technology. This isn't a suggestion that you should be able to teach that one BR Saiyan how to make a bio android, because that would be stupid.

Another measure to prevent certain issues with relation to water purifiers; while it would be funny to watch someone die of thirst, because they can't figure out how to do the water... I would rather not take the chance of that being me, so the obvious would be to just make them a freebie.

If the issue with not being able to pick up technologies gets too bad, the chances of learning them per month could be increased as the character's QP increases.

I think this is a good idea, because it follows the same general idea with how skills are learned. A system which makes it feel more natural when it comes to obtaining them, which I feel would give some people more reason to roleplay both in why they don't have them, as well as if someone just really needs to know how to make them immediately.
I'm not saying the idea is bad. (It's a pretty good idea) I just don't know if I agree with it.

Personally I'd either love to see Year locks on certain tech (so no space pods at year 15) or a system where you get tech once you have the base requirement for it. But just raising some of the more "middle" tier tech requirements a bit so you don't have space pods unlocking too early but unlocking around year 50-75 (So about the life of the first few humans/first gens with low decline) This way there's atleast some time for the "dragon ball" RP phase to happen, or the planetary RP, where people are say fighting for ranks/interacting with each other without any sort of outside influence from other planets.
I'm fairly certain that there will still be year locks to technology. It wouldn't make sense otherwise, and I think the only reason we didn't see one during the test wipe was to speed up the progression for the sake of testing.

A good question to bring up is if people would learn to make things like pods, and spacecraft before the year lock? i.e: They can learn it, but just not make it? Or will they start gaining the chance to learn it after the tech is unlocked? It would make a lot more sense if it was the latter.
I'm gonna mirror Pinkypoo on this one. I don't dislike the idea, I'm just uncertain if it's a good fit. Techs have to wait long enough for their stuff, I'm not sure a chance to learn system is the best idea.
I really like this idea.
I don't like this idea, I think that we already have issues (especially with newer players) complaining about them not learning skills either at all or fast enough. I think that creating a learning system for technology would present these problems for techies as well.