ID:2495685

It's been a week of fixes, mainly, with some extra attention paid to some annoying older bugs as well as some issues that cropped up over the weekend. A lot of the bugs I looked into were of the ugh variety, so I feel pretty productive.

An appearance leak has been with us for a while, affecting animate(), due to an internal bug in the mutablle appearance structure and how it cleaned up after itself. Normal soft-code MAs were fine, but internal ones not so much. I was concerned there was a larger problem with the server waiting too long to clean up client references (appearances sent to the client, that the client's garbage collector said were no longer needed), but that turned out not to be the case. I made a plan for more aggressively cleaning appearances up from the server side, but thankfully it turned out to be unnecessary so I've back-burnered it, probably indefinitely. Seems everything is okay now that the leak is resolved.

There was also a regression in output() when using an overloaded << operator. Nasty bug for obvious reasons, and squashed. Likewise the regression from a few releases back where the map editor decided to crap the bed after a small refactor, that's finally fixed thanks to getting more detailed information. Some other really strange and/or hard issues got fixed in the 512.1476 release, but of course there was one brand new bug that snuck in so we actually had two releases this week.

Anyway with all that fixed, I've been getting back to some 513 stuff but I also wanted to take care of a couple of UI annoyances. For one, the verb panel really leaves way too much space between columns, so I fixed the math in there and also made it more dependent on the font you choose. I also finally managed to figure out a longstanding problem with the output control where it wouldn't show scrollbars unless you deliberately scrolled it once, and then they'd appear and update normally. The scrollbar issue was a nightmare that led me into deep, dark Microsoft territory and reaffirmed my decision to nuke Redmond when I become a supervillain.

Hoping to get 513's final testing and buttoning-up done shortly. Even more shortly, I'm hoping to be able to stand and/or walk for extended periods.

Thanks to everyone who's helped support BYOND recently as a Member, Patron, or on SubscribeStar. Love you guys!
The scrollbar issue was a nightmare that led me into deep, dark Microsoft territory and reaffirmed my decision to nuke Redmond when I become a supervillain.

I support this decision