ID:2508499

Resolved
The find/replace dialog lost focus when searching across multiple files.
BYOND Version:512.1485
Operating System:Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 76.0.3809.132
Applies to:Dream Maker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

Really simple issue.

Opening the Ctrl+F find dialog box and finding a text string works just fine. However, if the next instance the find command finds is in a .dm file that isn't opened in your tabs yet, it'll open that .dm file up and switch focus to the text editor. This means that pressing enter again will erase the selected text, rather than find a new instance of the specified string.

You might argue I should just use F3 instead. You'd be right. Still, I don't think this is intended behavior.

Probably a bit easier to do it yourself than read that explanation... Here's a step list.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Open a .dm file.
2. Ctrl+F
3. Type in a string of code that's in a different .dm file than the current one. Make sure that that code file isn't on your tabs list.
4. Press enter. Dream maker will now open to the instance of that string, and focus on the text editor instead of the Find window.
5. Press enter again. Text editor will replace selected string with a newline instead of finding the next instance of your chosen string.

Here's a short video with my (awful) voice: https://streamable.com/gj77y

Expected Results:
Pressing enter searches for the next instance of the string (i.e. the Find window holds focus)
Actual Results:
The find window loses focus.

The problem occurs:
Every time, on Windows 10 anyway. Not sure if it holds true for Mac or older windows versions.

When does the problem NOT occur?
The find window will hold focus if the next string it finds is in a .dm file that is open in a tab in Dream Maker.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?
Not sure this is necessary. If you'd like, I can try testing it on old versions.

Workarounds:
Use F3 like a sane person instead of using Enter.
Good find. I'll look into this.
Hey, I know it's probably a backlogged issue, but any update on this? Tested it on most recent release and it's still reproducible.
In response to Spevacus
The version you reported it in is the latest version. If it gets fixed, the post will be updated.
I went ahead and updated the post to include latest version number as I replied just then, as I had just re-tested it.

The presumption being he could've fixed it and forgot to record it as fixed here.
Just as a follow-up here, I've been annoyed by this a bit myself. I haven't gotten to it yet but I will very soon.
Thanks for the follow up. It is a bit annoying, haha. I've gotten into the swing of using F3 and Find All (when applicable) a bit more as a result, though.
I have a fix for this and will close the issue once I have a version number.
'Preciate it a bunch!
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
The find/replace dialog lost focus when searching across multiple files.
Hey, wanted to point out that the fix doesn't appear to have taken hold.

Here's a video using the same project as before, same test: https://streamable.com/x2qtc

Mentioned you on Discord, but wasn't certain you had seen it. That channel got pretty busy.