ID:2512284

For the past few months I have been toying around with rips from old BYOND anime games. I thought I was going to learn programming by doing this. Little did I know after browsing through the tutorials and snippets section (after reading over Ter13's snippet Sunday's) that all I was really doing was teaching myself bad habits. Also, after asking in the forums for advice on how to create what I wanted I was pretty much unanimously told I would be better off creating my own game rather than tinkering and decoding file after file of what is apparently badly organized code that causes games to lag because they aren't implemented properly.

So, would everyone be so kind as to recommend a list of "done correctly" libraries and resources for those of us still learning to be able to utilize. I am looking for the most up to date resources for creating a top down RPG game with BYOND in the most efficient and versatile fashion. I want to know not just HOW but what the BEST way is to save/load , apply effects and debuffs, move smoothly, ect. I want to code games with the intention of them being big and being able to handle lots of players on them from the beginning. I want swap maps, instancing, random dungeon generation. I want randomly spawning mobs with decent A.I and random equipment. What are the BEST resources to accomplish all of this? What should I not be doing or relying on that I may easily fall into a trap of?
Kjjoker wrote:
What should I not be doing or relying on that I may easily fall into a trap of?

You shouldn't wait for the perfect moment to start.

Just start.

Now.

Kjjoker wrote:

You're already falling into the trap of dreaming too big, as all of us have. Try *finishing* a small project. Want to make an RPG? How about just the combat system? Forget the map, the npcs, the quests. Just get the player on the board with some enemies to fight.
In response to Magicsofa
Magicsofa wrote:
Kjjoker wrote:

You're already falling into the trap of dreaming too big, as all of us have. Try *finishing* a small project. Want to make an RPG? How about just the combat system? Forget the map, the npcs, the quests. Just get the player on the board with some enemies to fight.

Good advice.