ID:2513077

(See the best response by Kozuma3.)
screen_loc has a rather robust syntax for what it can accept and still correctly draw to the screen. While that may be helpful for ease of use or readability, it's a bit of a hindrance when trying to dynamically read and change the screen_loc of an atom.

I'm probably not the first person with this problem. Does anyone know if there is a library someone made for this or I'm just missing something obvious and there's a native byond way to get it in that format.

I know I could just write my own regex to capture what I want, but I don't know all the valid syntax and I feel like I would likely be reinventing the wheel here.
Best response
You can use a single hud object and store all the rest within it's vis contents and simply modify their pixel locations
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
You can use a single hud object and store all the rest within it's vis contents and simply modify their pixel locations

That might work to some effect someone is looking for if they were building their game from the ground up with that design choice in mind. But that idea won't work for me.It would mean either re-doing a lot of hud things to fit there.

In my project, there are various different huds and all of them use screen_loc to draw them where they should be. I was looking for something that would allow me to better interact with screen_loc so it could be an more extensible system.