Genesis

by UnknownHobbit
This is a roleplaying game inspired by Generations.
ID:2513648

Applies to:

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Now i know we all rp for fun, but come on now, there should be a reason, a slight incentive to do it over just train cycling over and over again. Maybe a tiny gain boost everytime you do it, or have it give you a bit of 4x gain time or something.

Because as it is currently, it gives you nothing, nothing that standing still wouldn't give you. So its a detriment to you, it wastes time you could spend training.

So i vote to give rping some slight mechanical benefit.

Whether that be giving you 4x gain time depending on your rp, or even a slight boost in your gains. Just something to make it worth doing. Otherwise, why not just go rp on a text based forum or something? Or have a D&D campaign with friends?
I'm not against your suggestion of giving it a benefit, but you need to understand why it's often a topic that's looked at in a very.... I guess bad light? (And obviously this is just explaining why RPing never really had a mechanic that affected your character in DBG)

Pretty much this just encourages people to type fluff RPs. Why do you think Generations didn't ever give rewards for RP? Because you shouldn't need to be "rewarded" for doing the main goal in the game. Generations was always a game where the mechanics fed the RP, sure it means that most of the time you see characters cycling while they're typing out that RP wall of a teaching RP, but that's just it. Long as people are RPing, that's great.

NOW What I would recommend, is instead of giving a reward for RPing itself, Have a compensation system for time you aren't training actively RPing. (I.E Intense fights/Sparring matches. Intense Teaching sessions, and other intense RP scenarios) This way if you find yourself RPing a lot, or getting into intense RP you aren't nativally going to fall behind for doing so.

The only issue I can see though, is HOW exactly you can go about implementing this system, in such a way that you're not going to make it abusable. Hence why the whole topic of having a sort of "RP Catch Up" has always been a bit of a hairy subject on DBG.

t;:dr Make a system that isn't abusable, automatic, and is able to reward RP but not put people who don't/can't find RP under the bus.
it would be abused. i can only see this working in a full RP game
If a system is put in, someone will abuse it. If someone abuses it, everyone else will attempt to follow suit.