ID:2522901

Fixes took center stage again early this week, leading up to the release of 513.1497. I found out that the character conversion implementation on Linux wasn't quite right, but other than that the Unicode issues have settled down for a bit. (Thank goodness.) Since the release the bug-report front has been fairly quiet.

A fairly new crash took up my attention as well, which turned out to be a much older bug simply manifesting more reliably thanks to the changes in 513. The short story behind that is that /icon datums caused some heap corruption when they resolved on the client side, but only in certain cases. The newer code to update icon states to UTF-8 on load turned out to be operating on a recently-deleted icon pointer which caused all sorts of mayhem, whereas other parts of that code weren't doing nearly as much damage (but did some). I was hoping, as a long shot, that this would also resolve a longstanding issue with crashes in icon destructors causead by heap corruption (which seems to only happen in big games like SS13), but apparently if it did anything it didn't go all the way. I'm still hoping to find out more.

Since the last release things have been looking more stable, so I've been getting back to miscellany that got away from me. One thing I added was hex code support to the color picker dialog, since that had been requested and the lack of it was bugging me. I'm also still looking to expand on the new alpha masking to fill a feature request from one of the early beta testers, which may result in a new blend mode or new filter settings.

Again I want to thank everyone who's helped support BYOND through Membership, donation, or on Patreon or SubscribeStar. If you haven't yet or it's been a long time, please make that quick step of helping out. Your support is extremely important to the platform and I couldn't do this without you.

Thanksgiving is less than two weeks away! That means so is my annual live blog and the eating of the pumpkin muffins. If you haven't tried my mom's pumpkin bread recipe you need to, and even if you're not much of a baker it's easy to do and you can impress and/or show up your family, depending where your family falls on the festive vs. petty scale.