ID:25235

As proved by experience, "no evilness" is just too vague. Therefore, I'm making better rules. So far, I've come up with this:

http://members.byond.com/Wizkidd0123/files/ wiz_chat%20rules.txt

What do you think should be added/removed/changed/improved? Please comment.
not as vague as it used to be, so its improved.
Also, add the no homophobia stuff.
I think saying that insulting others and prejudice comments at not permitted would cover a lot.
I've added that stuff, Cuddlebear and Dark, except for "insulting others," as I believe that's already covered by:

I want good discussion in the Lounge. To facilitate that, when you disagree with someone, feel free to debate whatever he's saying that you disagree with, but don't attack the person himself.
Just to be safe, add as rule no. 8; "No evilness" >_>.

I have nothing to contribute right now but instead a request; please add a time parameter in to the notes. It's annoying when OPs just write why someone was muted/banned and don't specify for how long - it results in people being muted/banned for months. Repiv is a good example, check the notes for what he did, and he was only just unmuted today/yesterday depending on your timezone.

*Edit*

I hope these rules only apply to The Lounge, not wiz_chat as you said in the title.
but snes roms aren't illegal
Ugh, not being able to say gay is difficult, due to cultural trends *is not homophobic*
ace ur such a gay fag
nix the roms part, you'd have to be kidding yourself if you really believed you were helping the situation by not allowing it.
You have just killed pretty much every type of joke in existence.

Racial jokes and sexist jokes aren't really that offensive to anyone. Hell, you could make it easy by asking "Will anyone be insulted by a joke consisting of a racial slur against *specific race here*?"

Genetics says there is no difference between one race and another, thus, in theory, there isn't such thing as anything other than the Human Race. With that in mind, all jokes do is single out a minority of the human race, where difference really is almost non existent and reinforce a stereotype which can bring about humour.

You've given us, Blond, Bush and Bar Jokes. But you could throw Bar jokes to the racist bin because the average English, Irish and Australian jokes rip stereotypes. And in theory, Bush jokes can and often do mock the americans as a whole rather than just Bush himself.
More cowbell.
I agree completely with Tiberath. I mean, as long as you're not attempting to "offend" anyone, what's the real harm in one or two Polish Army jokes?
new rule: if someone offends you, ignore them. it avoids the problem of "how do i know what may or may not offend someone" by letting each person choose to ignore people that they'd rather not listen to. and, it allows people to tell jokes or talk without worrying that they might offend someone.

its great that you allow people to have discussions about the origin of the f-word, but some people may even find that offensive. no matter where you draw your line on what is or isn't offensive, each individual person may draw that same line elsewhere. encouraged use of the ignore command avoids this.
I agree with OFD, and I suggest more: Mutes really shouldn't exist. If people have a problem, they can ignore someone.

But, what if someone floods or spams? Well, that's an attack on the system, and they should probably be banned.
Pmac wrote:
nix the roms part, you'd have to be kidding yourself if you really believed you were helping the situation by not allowing it.

People can always resort to /tells and joining another room. I've never seen that much of ROM stuff in the lounge anyway, so I'm sure it's not too big.

BigBoiD wrote:
but snes roms aren't illegal

Yep, they are, buddy.
But, what if someone floods or spams?

if its bad, it can be detected by the program. and if its not that bad then people can easily ignore the person before the spam ruins the conversation. and if its *that* bad then they'll be banned, but until they're banned everyone can ignore them and it isn't a problem.

Mutes really shouldn't exist

agreed. when its known that a GM is around, how often do you hear "hey, mute so-and-so"? if there were no mutes, the same people demanding a mute would just have to ignore the person.

probably since chatters implemented the ignore command i've been asking for a command that lets you limit who receives your messages. since people have always been slow to use the ignore command, this is like a way to force someone to ignore you.

also, it allows you to talk semi-privately to several people without having to send tells to each person, which essentially creates your own channel within a channel. since "create your own channel" is the classic response to the question "what if we want to tell racist jokes?", by limiting who is receiving your messages you could tell questionable jokes to people who want to hear them without having to leave the main channel. that way you can say what you want to people who aren't offended by it, you don't offend people who wouldn't want to hear it, and you don't miss out on any conversation. its a win-win situation that will never be implemented =)
A few more:

- Attacks on non-Jewish religions (and, as well, those without religion) should not be tolerated (Edit: I don't mean to say that it's OK to attack Jewish faith, but I was directly referring to your "anti-semitism" rule without regard to other religious beliefs)
- Verbal attacks at groups other than those being talked to should not be accepted (if I said that Germans were all retarded Nazi punks, to an American, that shouldn't be accepted, even though I wasn't insulting the American).
- Bug abusing (large fonts, smiley bugs from s_smileys, etc.) should be considered attacks on wiz_chat
- Should distinguish between wiz_chat's rules and The Lounge's rules
make wiz_chat preface every chat message with this: "i am sorry if this message offends you in any way. i assure you that i mean no offense to any ethnic, religious, social, or political group or any other organization, association, or congregation that exists or not. i am merely a web surfer trying to communicate with my fellow surfers and this is what i have to say"
I like the rules you have there. I don't think they're too restrictive at all.

Use of "gay" as a derogative term is a bad meme, and as such I support any attempts to wage war against it. Just because "everyone else does it" doesn't make it acceptable.
Page: 1 2