ID:2529313

If you had BYOND in 2002 and 2003, you lived it's best life. Fight me if you disagree. It was the greatest back then. I miss those day's, I'm old enough to say I bought the BYOND handbook with BYOND coins I earned while playing BYOND Lol. BYOND was one of the greatest thing's to happen to my childhood and I'm glad and happy to see it's still alive and pumpin'. Keep it up boy's! I'll always remember waking up early on the weekends to play the Copyright'ed games we used to allow and staying up all night grinding on the Dragonball Z games LOL!
Byond as an engine currently is the greatest it has ever been. "Copyrighted" games are still out there aswell. The only difference is that people from outside of byond don't know about them as much as they did before, thus their communities dwindled.
I wish I could timejump to 2008 again but retain my current knowledge and swipe a copy of 513 to show to past-lummox to make him question the universe n shit.
I really wish I could remember more of the old games I used to play ~2004 which still have host files floating around.

Castle still seems playable, but Darke Dungeon's host files seem to no longer work.

BYOND is so much more capable as a platform now, but it never really gets as much attention as it used to in the heyday.

In response to Wamwamb
Well crap, if Darke Dungeon isn't working then I'd like to fix that.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:

I haven't been able to successfully host it in quite a few years! I know it had Member requirements to host but I was still getting errors from DD due to some authentication issues, although based on the comments maybe it has been resolved since then?

Maybe I'll try subbing and see if it works.

I was mostly just curious about which old games still had host files floating around, and was sad remembering I tried DD years ago and it didn't work!
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:

It seems to work if I host it through DreamSeeker directly, but not through DreamDaemon. The DD client seems to shut down automatically after a few seconds. I think it might be trying to reach out to some dead auth server?
It might require a host the way Incursion does. Maybe it wasn't designed to run in DD.
I member
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
It might require a host the way Incursion does. Maybe it wasn't designed to run in DD.

Based on the documentation I can dredge up it looks like it used to run through DD and it stopped working around the time their hub stuff went offline. Similarly, Shadowdarke's Game Master system is completely inoperable now since it had to be activated through his external authentication thing. Its a shame, looks like I can manage to host through DS, but without the GameMaster stuff it locks down the server customization.

RIP
Doesn't look like there's any external auth stuff happening, but it is doing a subscription check to another hub entry (http://www.byond.com/forum/Shadowdarke/ DarkeDungeonGamemaster). But since Shadowdarke never updated his information, subscriptions are no longer enabled on his account.