ID:2531801

(See the best response by Nadrew.)
Hello, I searched around but google can't find anything on the forums with the most basic questions, so I am forced to ask as I have no other way to find out.

How do you report the in-game date to the hub server listing, as seen on other games here on Byond? I don't know how to do that and I would like to do that for my game, as well, so that players may differentiate between the age/freshness of one server versus another by the in-game date.

May someone please explain how this is accomplished? Thank you.
Best response
They generally use the world.status variable.
Another tip, AER: the reference now lets you filter by topic. If you filter entries by "BYOND hub" you'll see only hub-related stuff.
What do you mean, lummie? (Hope you don't mind that I endearingly call you that :))
I understand now what you were talking about. That is cool, but the reference is still very vague and does not help at all on this issue. Thanks, though.

And thank you Nadrew, I'll have to look into it.

Edit: Checked it out, but it keeps saying it requires a constant expression (so it won't accept a date tag like [year] it seems like it only wants text, so how do people add a dynamic date display rather than static text?)
If you go to the web reference you'll see it, but also in 513 you can filter in the reference window in Dream Maker.
I apologize, I guess I am not understanding what you are talking about? Please expand.

I understand now what you were talking about. That is cool, but the reference is still very vague and does not help at all on this issue. Thanks, though.
world
hub = "AERProductions.ID_FROM_HUB"
hub_password = "PASS_FROM_HUB"
status = "You can modify this string as needed."
Yeah, I know to use the world status var, but it won't accept my variables. It says it wants a constant expression but I want to put in the date of the in-game world, as seen on other game's hubs. But I don't know how to accomplish that. Thanks for help!

I'll keep messing around with it. I probably just need to make a constant var tied to what I want to do.

I think I have to convert the in-game time into a text string that then inputs into the world.status but I just haven't quite figured out on my own how to do that yet (I also have been focusing on fixing other systems of the game). If anyone can lead me in the right direction (you don't have to tell me exactly how to do it if you'd rather I learn, I understand that, I just need a little bit of guidance).
You can't set variables to non-constant values at compile-time, you'd want to do it somewhere like world/New() or inside of a proc.
Oh, alright. I'll try that.

Update: It worked! Thank you Nadrew! I am grateful for your hint.

That was all I needed.