ID:2533064

Resolved
Animated objects with filters that appeared twice on the screen due to being in vis_contents could cause unpredictable results or a crash.
BYOND Version:513.1505
Operating System:Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 71.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
A blur being combined with a ripple and vis_contents results in the whole thing rapidly flickering

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. apply blur effect to object
2. apply ripple effect to object
3. put turf into object's vis_contents

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
A small project that demonstrates the issue: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/467793069043875842/ 660680657227481099/blur-bug-project.zip

Expected Results:
Blur + Ripple + vis_contents

Actual Results:
It rapidly flickers

When does the problem NOT occur? when there is no blur / no ripple / no vis_contents

Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Animated objects with filters that appeared twice on the screen due to being in vis_contents could cause unpredictable results or a crash.
Moved this to the regular Bug Reports because I was able to determine this is actually a 512 problem too; it's just more likely to show up in 513 due to the increased availability of filters.
or a crash

hey i was actually getting that too, but it was inconsistent and I couldn't easily reproduce it.
What was weird was that I was getting the flicker you described, and then after changing a few minor things around that shouldn't have affected anything, I consistently got a crash.

The cause of this BTW was that the animation was being done twice, not caching, and the temporary filter object created as a result was being destroyed on the second pass. This was a problem when the icons were actually used, as one copy had the original tmeporary filter object that had been destroyed and the other copy had the current one.