ID:2536405

The first full week of the new year has come and gone, and the snow has returned, briefly. I resisted the urge last night to buy sugar cookies, which is my good deed to myself for the week. At some point I'll have to think about taking the tree down, which I resolve to do at a somewhat reasonable date this year.

The big news this week is the release of BYOND 513.1506, which covered a lot of fixes. In fact it had so many that some aren't even listed in the release notes, but it's like that with some changes sometimes. I was even able to squeeze in some last-minute fixes I didn't expect to get to or had trouble wrestling with—including a scrollbar bug in the output control I honestly thought I was going to have to give up on. Stupid Microsoft.

Filed under miscellany, I'm still looking at other bug reports and also want to spin back up on the CEF project soon. But truth be told, a big part of me is also looking forward to getting 513 marked as the new stable version, because I have feature madness. The other day I had an enthusiastic endorsement of one of my dream projects by one of our great veterans, and boy would that be tempting to try.

Also I'm looking into libcurl again and trying to figure out what options might exist for moving the webclient—when I get back to it—to an SSL-enabled version. Basically a few things here and there like that are overdue for a face lift.

I want to thank everyone who's done their part so far to support BYOND through Membership, donations, or on Patreon or SubscribeStar. It's really appreciated and it allows me to keep developing for you.
What exactly are the benefits from switching to CEF from IE?
Anything devs could benefit from?
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
What exactly are the benefits from switching to CEF from IE?
Anything devs could benefit from?

Modern HTML5/CSS/JS features without worrying about IE8 or polyfills?
Is 2020 the year of the web client?
Should be the year for WebAssembly.
Currently, the webclient is horribly broken. Most objects are invisible, it crashes randomly, and if you press f12 theres a shit ton of errors related to the webgl.
In response to Monster860
Monster860 wrote:
Currently, the webclient is horribly broken. Most objects are invisible, it crashes randomly, and if you press f12 theres a shit ton of errors related to the webgl.

I'll use this as a plug to reiterate my years-long request to let the community help. The following is pinned at the top of Developer Help, on the first page of the webclient thread:

http://www.byond.com/forum/post/1755294#comment13499408
Five years ago, Lummox JR wrote:
We have talked about releasing the Dart code at some point, so that's something we're strongly considering.

I'm intimately familiar with Dart and its best practices, so I would gladly help bring the webclient to glory.