ID:2537595

Resolved
BYOND Version:513.1506
Operating System:Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 79.0.3945.117
Applies to:Dream Maker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

I don't really know how to explain this, but running "Run and Compile" through Dream Maker successfully runs the game, but it then later crashes after some period of time without any errors or messages, other than "Connection Failed." "Retrying in 10 seconds..."

I really don't want this to be a red herring, but it does this when I place a genderless NPC in the map file. I will be doing further testing regarding this but it doesn't seem to occur on non-beta or when I run it through dream daemon.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Run and Compile.
2. Wait a bit.
3. Crash.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
Can't really produce here because how an NPC spawns and is handled spans several thousand lines.

Expected Results:
Not crashing.

Actual Results:
Crashing.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time. The time is usually consistent, and works with other genderless NPCs but they crash at different rates.
In other games? Unknown.
In other user accounts? Unknown.
On other computers? Unknown.

When does the problem NOT occur? When the game is run through dream daemon instead or if I just downgrade to stable.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? Going to test this as soon as I can. Again, running stable doesn't do this.

Workarounds:
Run stable instead.
OR
Run through dream maker.
You can always try sending me the source and I can check it out.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
You can always try sending me the source and I can check it out.

Sure.

https://github.com/BurgerLUA/burgerstation

It's setup so all you have to do is press run and compile. The map used is 1_1 station, and you spawn as a ghost next to the NPCs that crash.
I wasn't able to reproduce the issue, but I strongly suspect this is related to a change in 513.1506 that started causing disconnects for some players, particularly related to mouse movement.

If you see no issues at all in 1505 but consistently see them in 1506, that will be the telltale.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I wasn't able to reproduce the issue, but I strongly suspect this is related to a change in 513.1506 that started causing disconnects for some players, particularly related to mouse movement.

If you see no issues at all in 1505 but consistently see them in 1506, that will be the telltale.

Finally did that test you wanted me to do. I tried it on 1505 and there were no issues. What's weird is that I tried it again on 1506 and it crashed even without the NPCs that would normally crash it.
To be clear, this isn't actually crashing, right? It's just closing the game? The exact terminology matters a lot.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
To be clear, this isn't actually crashing, right? It's just closing the game? The exact terminology matters a lot.

Here is what it is doing exactly:

The game runs on run and compile.
It then does "Connection failed, retrying in 10 seconds."
The client does not crash.
The client does not produce errors.
The game somehow restarts and the process repeats.

I don't have any reboot or shutdown procs that are active in the code.

Please retest in 513.1507.
Sorry for the late reply. It works fine now.
Lummox JR resolved issue