ID:2544648

We've hit the middle of February and the weather doesn't seem to know what to do with itself, as usual, which is kind of fitting for a holiday where a lot of people have no idea what to do, in or out of relationships, because getting seated in a restaurant today (short of a three-hour wait) is impossible.

This week has gone by quickly, but you'll note the planned 513.1512 release didn't go off as I expected. I'm actually looking at a few more things and also getting confirmation that the fixes since 1511 work as expected. High up on my list is a bug report regarding gliding that looks like it could use a little love, although from my initial look it seems surprising it works most of the time and only fails intermittently.

One of the biggest places my time has gone to this week has been the skin editor overhaul, which started taking shape more quickly than I thought. A lot of basics are in place now, so a lot of what's left is a matter of figuring out the fiddly parts. There are multiple skin settings that required special attention in the editor, and some of those still do. But, overall it's been interesting and more or less straightforward, except for wrestling with Windows cruft. These changes will not make it into 513.1512 because I plan to get that out sooner.

514 features have been up for discussion. I'm still considering particles, and I've had multiple questions about adding better shadowcasting. Shadowcasting is not, however, a terribly easy problem as I've discussed before, mainly on the Patreon page where I tend to talk about under-the-hood stuff. I have some new ideas I'll go over there this week.

Again I'd like to thank all of you who've contributed to BYOND so far. Our Members and donors mean everything, and I'm grateful for your support so I can keep improving the engine.

Now it's time to get your romance and/or self-pity on! Or neither of those things, if you're so inclined. Don't let Hallmark get you down. But do use the occasion as an excuse for cake, which was always a tradition in my house growing up. CAKE.
Senpai noticed me, lol. Looking forward to it.

Keep up the good work.
Lummox JR wrote:
514 features have been up for discussion. I'm still considering particles, and I've had multiple questions about adding better shadowcasting.

YES. Better Shadowcasting of any kind would allow me to completely overhaul Dark Star to be FAR better than it currently is.

Particles alone would be a huge boon, but better shadowcasting would be revolutionary 0_0.
Particles that cast shadows?