ID:2546119

(See the best response by Nadrew.)
I have plans to start a fresh project, and have been bouncing around ideas as to how I'm going to accomplish some of the major features.

First and foremost, I'm wondering whether it's possible to use a third-party system for player accounts. Specifically, I want players to be able to log into the game using SteemConnect (https://developers.steem.io/services/steemconnect) with their STEEM account.

The main reason for this necessity is the second major feature of this planned project, a p2p marketplace that enables users to buy/sell any item in the game using the STEEM cryptocurrency, or possibly an NFT (non-fungible token) I create for the game.

I know that I can use JSON scripts to integrate SteemConnect into the game for transactions in the marketplace, but as far as replacing the built-in account system, or even simply linking ones STEEM and BYOND accounts, I'm at a loss.

I've been working with BYOND on and off for nearly 20 years. I'm by no means the greatest programmer, but I'm comfortable developing in BYOND, and don't want to have to learn a new engine like Godot that I know could handle this sort of system. I have very little experience (practically none) with making BYOND talk to outside sources, but I'm hoping I can figure this out, and bring a game-changer to BYOND.

Thoughts?

Best response
You can remove the need for BYOND accounts entirely by disabling client/authenticate. Keep in mind, this will make the `key` and related variables unreliable and you shouldn't continue to use them in your project.

Your main issue with implementing a secondary account system is security, as BYOND doesn't allow for HTTPS or POST requests in Export() calls.
Hmm. Thanks for your reply. That certainly gives me something to think about.