ID:2546894

Byond is one of the easiest coding and developing tools I've used(I haven't used that many but it still means a bunch.)Like, I've been able to make fully functional games and discover new ways to make them in literal DAYS.

(btw who even invented Byond?)

BYOND was originally created by two university physics students, Dan and Tom. Together they went by the moniker of "Dantom" which i'm sure you've seen peppered throughout the reference.

Dan left fairly early on (this was like.. 98 or 99, iirc? Maybe later on around 2001, but my byond history knowledge is rusty), leaving Tom at the helm. Tom continued working on BYOND, eventually recruiting our Savior, Lummox JR to share the workload, but a few years ago(~4 or 5 years now maybe?) Tom left to pursue more fruitful endeavors and passed the torch onto Lummy.

Lummox taking over the reigns has arguably been the best thing to happen to the software. No offense to Tom, of course, but Lummox is a bit more motivated and has a more cohesive "vision" for what BYOND should be.

BYOND's software is pretty rad and a great stepping stone for aspiring developers, or folks who just want a simple hobbiest engine to tinker with. Just avoid getting too involved/invested with the community, as most of the community is pretty radioactively toxic.

But yeah, it's awesome you're enjoying it. It's a good time to stumble upon this particular hole in the wall, probably.
In response to Kumorii
Thanks dude, and that is some pretty neat lore!
I noticed the forums aren't nearly as active as they used to be. Is all of BYOND using some alternative form of communication these days?
In response to Major Falcon
There is a reddit for one of the games, SS13.

It's called r/SS13 if you want to go there.
In response to Major Falcon
We mainly use discord now.

Edit: was trying to find an invite, couldn't. So made a permanent one: https://discord.gg/X7fgxTw