ID:2547931

Resolved
Unicode characters in the project path could interfere with compilation in some cases.
BYOND Version:513.1512
Operating System:Windows 10 Home
Web Browser:Firefox 73.0
Applies to:Dream Maker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Issue from http://www.byond.com/forum/post/2546187 still persists for me. To clarify, attempting to compile the build while it is located in a subfolder of my user folder (like desktop or documents folder) results in only the very first file listed in .dme to load, and every one coming after it will fail to open until maximum error number is reached.

My PC username is in Russian, and so is my user folder's name as result.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Try to compile a codebase while it is in desktop folder: Failed.
Try to compile a codebase while it is in Documents: Failed
Try to compile a codebase after moving it to Program Files: Succeeded

The only difference I can personally see is the presense of russian characters in the path.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
N/A

Expected Results: Build compiles successfully, same as it did on 512

Actual Results: Only first file is loaded and every one after has "Unable to open file" error

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time I try compiling while codebase's folder is on desktop/in Documents
In other games? Applies to two different codebases, though game is same
In other user accounts? Yes
On other computers? Not testable in my case

When does the problem NOT occur? When I attempted to move codebase into Program Files folder, it compiled successfully.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? It starts occuring on the very first 513 version. 512 and earlier, it worked fine. 513.1512 was supposed to fix that, but even after updating, I still encounter the issue.

Workarounds: Moving the folder elsewhere.
What's the exact path? That might help to know so I can reproduce this.
Example path:

C:\Users\пк\Desktop\Dev\Polaris(codebase folder)

For attempt with documents folder:

C:\Users\пк\Documents\Polaris

For attempt with program files folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Polaris
Okay, I just used two symbols from russian alphabet and for some reason the forum itself transcribed them into... whatever that zalgo is. Its basically lowercase pc in russian.
Any chance you could screenshot that? Updating the site to UTF-8 is on my to-do list but in the meantime it'd help to see the exact characters.
'пк' encoded as Latin-1 is 'D0 BF D0 BA' decoded as UTF-8 is:

U+43F CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER PE
U+43A CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER KA
Is there a way you could send me the file you're trying to compile? I built a test project and put it in directories with Cyrillic text, and could not reproduce the issues you've described. There might be something about your project in particular that's causing the issue.
It doesn't seem to be related to the file. First file included in .dme is always loading correctly, but the rest of the files fail to open until 100 errors is reached. If I uninclude some of the top files in the .dme it opens whatever new file is first just fine.

https://prnt.sc/rc7v0m

Example of the log
It would really help to have a link to the codebase you're using. My demo project had two files and they both worked fine.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Unicode characters in the project path could interfere with compilation in some cases.