ID:2547995

Not Feasible
Applies to:DM Language

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
Text macros is great, but unfortunately not very flexible for complex text. If there is multiple objects/mobs in string, or if string combined from several others.

For example:
"[user] is crawling into [src]! It looks like \he trying to commit suicide!"

\he will be parsed as connected to src, not for user:
"Bob is crawling into body bag! It looks like it trying to commit suicide!"

Suggestion is let to indicate context for macro, maybe something like this:
"[user] is crawling into [src]! It looks like \he(user) trying to commit suicide!"

/tg/ has own pronouns realization to deal with this and others problem (except ss13-specific part with obscure/hideface), there may be more examples and ideas:
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/blob/ 6de320130e6c16892ee84d27492fe69b0dfa8cfa/code/__HELPERS/ pronouns.dm
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not Feasible)
I just don't see this being workable.
lol
I thought that it's possible, just where already \he\his\hers parse text for most closest reference, \he(ref) can take already specified.
Without this build-in macros a little useless for large projects. And I just don't like idea of frameworks to work with task that is already in context of DM language... And confusion among coders between \he and p_they().

Anyway, there is also other points against build-in macros currently. Like /tg/ pronouns covers is/are was/were does/do s/es that not included in DM, and also because it is English only.
The built-in text macros are good enough for small projects and bigger or non-English projects tend to know their specific needs better than BYOND could predict. I don't see a problem here.
The problem is adding more formatting is kind of a big deal. It's easier to use an embedded expression like [HE(object)] where HE is a #define.
By "problem" I meant "problem with the decision". I agree with normal embedded expressions being the better solution.