ID:2557415

(See the best response by Hiead.)
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Dreamseeker randomly deletes itself upon trying to download a server's files, before crashing. Upon a second attempt to launch Dreamseeker, a window pops up ([Dreamseeker's path], [Server IP] -pager) and an error is given indicating Dreamseeker does not exist (Error 00000002) and recommends BYOND be reinstalled.

Attempting to reinstall BYOND fails as it is unable to write Dreamseeker to disk without crashing, potentially deleting all BYOND files as part of the re-install.

Restarting the computer allows BYOND to be re-installed, temporarily solving the issue.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:

Actual Results:

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Games usually work the first time but the problem will usually manifest after a few attempts to load the server
In other games? I've only experienced this trying to load the Citadel Station 13 servers (which require the beta versions currently) but I can't say for sure if it's happening when I try and join other servers without more testing.
In other user accounts?
On other computers? As far as I'm aware I'm the only one having this issue, strangely. I have tried moving BYOND's directory to another hard drive on the computer but it does not help.

When does the problem NOT occur? The problem doesn't manifest the first time BYOND is installed and run on a new boot of the computer.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.) I do not believe the issue was present in 512 versions.

Workarounds:

Some update: Apparently this triggers itself when I close the dreamseeker program as well. I was on the Skyrat SS13 server (byond://104.194.9.17:22094) while on a second, unrelated server. The resources downloaded (it does it twice for some reason) and the server booted up, played fine, but when I closed the window, the window with the other server closed as well, and the error immediately presented itself again (Dreamseeker was deleted).

It may just be a problem for the specific codebase I'm playing with? It's hard to tell. It could be memory related?
Best response
Do you have anti-virus software that might be deleting/quarantining it?
This is absolutely something to do with security software, that's really the only thing that will just delete a file without permission outside of a virus itself.
I never even considered that to be the case, but it turns out it was. Thanks for the help!