ID:2563338

Not a bug
BYOND Version:513.1517
Operating System:Linux
Web Browser:Chrome 81.0.4044.113
Applies to:Dream Daemon

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Expected Results:
Working UTF-8
Actual Results:
Broken UTF-8
Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Very-very often.
In other games? No
In other user accounts? Yes
On other computers? Yes

When does the problem NOT occur?
N/a
Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? 512, but there was special fixes for ciryllic

We thinking it's linux host side problem, and right now we can't do anything with this.
I need a lot more information on this. The screenshot simply doesn't give me enough information. What's the text you're seeing vs. what you expect to see? Is it only in the browser controls or is it everywhere?

Moreover, I moved this report to Beta Bugs because it's a 513 issue. Because of that it also needs the full version number, not just 513.

It would help if you can provide information on what the system's locale is. Usually on Linux that will include "utf8" in the locale name. The host machine is supposed to be able to account for this however. I also need to know the locale of the machine the code was compiled on, if it's a different machine.

Was the codebase updated to include the correct meta charset tags in your HTML? If the HTML is not specifying UTF-8, it may display the wrong thing.
Oh sorry for that, i was on panic.

It's everywhere where we have russian words, instead chat (as you see)
We're using Ubuntu Bionic as container and Centos 7 as host. We applied "charset = UTF-8" everywhere, we tested it on locale, and everythin works fine.

We try to see Linux locale, need some time for this.
Okay, to get to the bottom of this I'm going to need a lot of details. (Also I definitely need you to update the report to include the full version number. That's absolutely critical.)

Can you show me the snippets where the HTML code has been changed to use the UTF-8 charset?

Also, and this is an important question, is the client in fact running 513 also? If the client is running 513 but the server is on 512, you're going to see a lot of issues where the two builds simply have a lot of trouble talking to one another.

[edit]
I would also suggest you contact Vallat, because I know his server uses Cyrillic and hasn't seen these kinds of issues. He was instrumental in getting a lot of Unicode issues fixed and he may have insight into what's going on in your code.
We inserted UTF-8 everywhere. Here is commit.
https://github.com/iWuna/Fallout-13-NewDecade/commit/ cc00b9e4dc3814182445b5cb20ec6050d69003ea

Also, our Linux host uses Ubuntu Bionic and Centos 7.
With installed locales.
He have byond 513.1517 on aboard. All clients joins from beta branch.
In response to IWuna
Whether locales are installed doesn't mean anything. I need to know what the actual locale for the server is. (Also, is the code being compiled on that server?)

What I'm beginning to suspect is that your source code is still ANSI-encoded, but it's being run on a machine with a non-Russian locale. That would definitely cause the problems you're seeing. The solution is to update the encoding for all your source files to UTF-8, which can be done in various text editors like Sublime. To do a batch conversion, there's a program called Utf8Cast that might work (I'd back up the code first obviously to be safe), and you might also be able to do this in PowerShell.

[edit]
I just took a look at your repo and can definitely confirm your source files are still in ANSI encoding. If you update them to UTF-8, Dream Maker will respect the new encoding.
Utf8Cast was good solution of this problem.
Yes, problem was in ANSI.
Thanks you VERY much. Now i need to sleep, its 4:40 AM
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not a bug)
Great news! I'll see if I can work in an option to make this conversion easier.