ID:2564722

Hey guys!

Just wanted to make a small post about the enthusiasm of game making between now and the early days of BYOND. The cool part about this post is a lot of the early members of BYOND will be able to contribute way more than I ever could because they're the exact people I'm talking about.

The main point I wanted to make was around the narrative for creating a game in BYOND. I'm working a ton with Python right now and the running rule for Python is 'Simple is better than complex.' Python is an attractive language for new developers because it's easy to learn and use obviously, and from that point you're using an established language to do real things like AI or web dev. I see so many new developers entering the tech world through Python and in a sense it reminds me of BYOND. They're all so freaking excited to make something and enter the world of technology but don't realize what's ahead of them.

The main relation I want to make today is, BYOND could have the same feel when trying to develop any game or project. I understand that simply saying that does nothing, I just wanted to in a way remind everyone that the only thing that separates us from the early days of BYOND is the lack of innovation not the lack of talent.
I have a friend/coworker who is learning python, and he's using it to make an inventory database and front-end for our company. It is definitely easy to read for someone used to a language like DM.

I think python fanatics tend to confuse shorter code with "simplicity." Python seems to have a lot of little tricks that look cool because hey, I can write one line of code to do all this stuff. Sometimes that is fine but it can also make your code esoteric and unreadable, without necessarily performing better in terms of CPU usage.

Cyberlord34 wrote:
the only thing that separates us from the early days of BYOND is the lack of innovation not the lack of talent.

What I remember from the early days of BYOND is that anime rips were clogging the games listing, pixel movement was still being hacked together using soft code, and the only way to play a game was through the downloaded client. I think you'll see a lot of innovation going on with the newer features if you look for it. One thing that's not missing from the early days or the today-days is that people often get excited about a project, and then dive in without realizing how much work it actually is, and never finish. But that's just the world of beginner development, and totally normal.

Lamenting about the olden days being gone isn't gonna help anyone's morale, nor is telling people they lack innovation. Some of us are just looking ahead, and are still enthusiastic even after years of time.
In response to Magicsofa
Magicsofa wrote:

I think python fanatics tend to confuse shorter code with "simplicity." Python seems to have a lot of little tricks that look cool because hey, I can write one line of code to do all this stuff. Sometimes that is fine but it can also make your code esoteric and unreadable, without necessarily performing better in terms of CPU usage.

Absolutely, I was more suggesting the fact that tons of programmers recommend Python as a learning ground for programming to which that person could continue using that language or go on to learn plenty more if they'd like (and if they learn it right they learn about universal things like about interpreters and how to get your Python code to work with other languages). Similar to how a lot of Intro to CS classes use Java, it was just a thought that BYOND would benefit from tailoring itself more in that sense where the developer know's what DM is trying to achieve and what its not. In retrospect it does a good job already marketing itself as a beginner 2D game engine it's just unique since it has it's own language and doesn't explain too much of how to get to any sort of next level with your programming or game design really. BYOND does do its job though.

Cyberlord34 wrote:
the only thing that separates us from the early days of BYOND is the lack of innovation not the lack of talent.

What I remember from the early days of BYOND is that anime rips were clogging the games listing, pixel movement was still being hacked together using soft code, and the only way to play a game was through the downloaded client. I think you'll see a lot of innovation going on with the newer features if you look for it. One thing that's not missing from the early days or the today-days is that people often get excited about a project, and then dive in without realizing how much work it actually is, and never finish. But that's just the world of beginner development, and totally normal.

Lamenting about the olden days being gone isn't gonna help anyone's morale, nor is telling people they lack innovation. Some of us are just looking ahead, and are still enthusiastic even after years of time.

I agree that was a mistake, looking forward is obviously the only way to progress, thank you.