ID:2565892

Resolved
Icons with huge numbers of states didn't display correctly in the icon editor, which failed to display later states entirely and also had problems with the scrollbar.
BYOND Version:513.1520
Operating System:Windows 10 Pro
Web Browser:Firefox 75.0
Applies to:Dream Maker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

Dream Maker will fail to render iconstates and iconstate names after a certain amount of states.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

Get a big random image, like 3000x3000.
Set the size of the dmi to be small, like 32x32.
Import the huge image.
Scroll down and notice it stops rendering after a while, and will actually scroll you up automatically to the top.

Expected Results:

Rendering fine

Actual Results:

https://i.imgur.com/X0wKnmn.png

When does the problem NOT occur?

not using gigantic DMIs

Workarounds:
None

I think that the limit is 256 states, might be wrong tho.
There certainly used to be, and possibly still is, a hard limit of 512 states for DM-created DMIs, IIRC due to a bug in the Windows control that DM uses for the icon state list causing heavy flickering with large numbers of entries. This may just be a consequence of that limit.
Zewaka, do you have a copy of the icon causing this issue? I'd like to run some tests and see if I can fix this.

In theory as long as there's room for the icon in memory, it should be feasible to display a screen's worth of them easily, but the problem might be that the way the icon editor's main page renders is inefficient.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Icons with huge numbers of states didn't display correctly in the icon editor, which failed to display later states entirely and also had problems with the scrollbar.