ID:2568320

Hi, i am attempting to make a game on my own & i was wondering if there was any new Tutorials or tutors out there to help get me going in the right direction?

I have two coders i am paying to craft the game but unfortunately with the corona virus, progress has been slow. & i'd like to fill my down time practicing & learning how to code.

So far we have the Starting screen partially finished:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/656722022776438804/ 707108473443319858/unknown.png
The third window however is where i am struggling, as i need a popup window where i can list the character stats, allow the player to name their character & click "Confirm" to begin the game.

From my understanding, I need to create the 'stat' coding first & Then i implement it into the character creator.(As the game won't know what to reference)
https://gyazo.com/eea29229687dd21acd8d80794e86440e
I tried to keep it as simple as i can for now. However i get undefined var errors in regards to that code for the start of the "Creation screen" Process.

Could anyone help me figure out what i am doing wrong here?
You need to define your stats under mob/var:
mob/var
Strength=1
Durability=1

What you're doing in Stat() is creating a statpanel tab with the text you've put in stat(). Also you don't need your first statpanel() as it's already covered in your if statement.

If you're wanting to create your character creator in the interface you might want to take a look at winget() and winset().

Edit: also worth noting that you can't have spaces in your variable definitions but you can use underscores.
In response to Legacy of Caine
Legacy of Caine wrote:
You need to define your stats under mob/var:
> mob/var
> Strength=1
> Durability=1

What you're doing in Stat() is creating a statpanel tab with the text you've put in stat(). Also you don't need your first statpanel() as it's already covered in your if statement.

If you're wanting to create your character creator in the interface you might want to take a look at winget() and winset().

Edit: also worth noting that you can't have spaces in your variable definitions but you can use underscores.

I read in the dev help sections that his method may be easier:
https://gyazo.com/1a4afb7c6802b3a9b96f8be11544f2e0

Would this be defining them or am i missing another component?

Yeah that is defining them, sorry I just presumed the undefined error was because you were referring to your stats without having defined them.

So to figure out what is causing the error you'll need to make sure that you're defining the variable causing the error.
Arcane Addict wrote:

Well, starting with the character creation and start screen is a major red flag. You shouldn't be worried about any of that in the early stages, and instead focus on the meat-and-potatoes of the gameplay.

Designing stats and combat and such should come well before you even think about character customization, story details, or anything like that. Just like if you were putting together a body from scratch, you start with the skeleton and work your way out.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Arcane Addict wrote:

Well, starting with the character creation and start screen is a major red flag. You shouldn't be worried about any of that in the early stages, and instead focus on the meat-and-potatoes of the gameplay.

Designing stats and combat and such should come well before you even think about character customization, story details, or anything like that. Just like if you were putting together a body from scratch, you start with the skeleton and work your way out.

Oh, When i was paying my coders that is what i asked for, starting with the skeleton so i can learn to slowly add things to the game. So in this type of game i thought stuff regarding the stats, Races & some work on the passives would be the 'starting' stuff to work on long before adding the rest of the 'meat' to the game?
The basics of the stat and combat systems are what you want to start with early on, and maybe things like passive/active skills. Branching out into multiple character classes/races isn't something you need to worry about right away so long as you're prepared to do so when the time comes.

Essentially what you want to start out with in any RPG is giving characters and enemies some kind of stats, getting basic stuff like movement, combat, etc. done. An inventory and equipment system can go in early, but you don't need any special UI for it right away. At a little bit later stage you'd want to build in saving, then get to character creation (giving yourself a quick-bypass method so you can jump right in to test things if you need to).

At the early stages you don't need to worry about having all kinds of races to choose from, wide variety of monsters, well-designed map. All of that comes later. What you want to focus on first is the mechanics of the game, including the core gameplay concepts you want to have.
Alright i'll keep that in mind while i work on this, atm i did the basics to the stat program & i was just slowly rigging stuff together.

So tonight i'll try & focus on a very basic combat system.