ID:2568975

Resolved
A new appearance_flag value, PASS_MOUSE, has been added to support better use of render_source. Normally an object with render_source set is just a visual copy of the source object, but setting PASS_MOUSE on this icon will cause any mouse interaction to be passed through to the source object instead.
Applies to:DM Language
BYOND Version:513.1522
Operating System:Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 81.0.4044.129

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
When using a render target starting with * with a plane master and a holder screen object to render to, mouse click hitboxes are not carried over.
I'm admittedly not sure if this is even potentially a bug, or just a thing with how visuals are supposed to work that I'm overlooking.
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Set an object to a specific plane
2. Put an object with the same plane set to appearance_flags = PLANE_MASTER in your client.screen, making sure screen loc is something valid so it actually shows
3. Have the plane master have a render target beginning in *, like *TEST
4. Have another object in your client.screen with any plane that isn't the same as the plane master (and probably higher than the first object) with the same string as a render source
5. You can see the first object but you can't click on it, nor will dreamseeker show the name of the object at the bottom left when you mouse over it.
Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Test cases:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/kaqrsk1o8gwiu7s/ RenderPipelineMouseHit.zip/file
OR
https://puu.sh/FItoS/f179c7a07a.zip

(mouse over the objects in the testcase, then add plane masters, and notice how it can't be moused over anymore.)
Expected Results:
Objects will have the proper mouse hit detection hitboxes that match their actual visual positions
Actual Results:
Objects do not have mouse hit detection at all
Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Always
In other games?
In other user accounts? Not tested
On other computers? Not tested

When does the problem NOT occur?
Never

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
This is the first time I've attempted to use render targets/render sources, so not sure.

Workarounds:
None known
Moved to Beta Bugs. i'll need you to edit your report with the full version number, because this obviously can't be a 512 bug.

I also need a test case.
aight gimme a bit
added
Okay, I took a look at the demo and can confirm this isn't a bug, but it does leave an open question as to whether it would be a good idea to turn what you're looking for into a feature.

Currently, objects with a render_source set are still their own object, so mouse hits will not carry over from the copy to the original. But for various plane grouping effects that are only possible by using render_target/source, I can see why you'd want to make that possible.

For that reason I'm gonna move this to Feature Requests.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
A new appearance_flag value, PASS_MOUSE, has been added to support better use of render_source. Normally an object with render_source set is just a visual copy of the source object, but setting PASS_MOUSE on this icon will cause any mouse interaction to be passed through to the source object instead.