Wargames2

by Acebloke
Wargames2
The next chapter
ID:2574866

Ahahaha, you know me better by now right? If I say I'm making an update, it usually means I'll spend the next 3 months bloating it with new features before a release. If you guessed this, you guessed this right.

Feature bloat in the Wargames series is usually a result of several things:

1) I think it'll be cool to include, so naturally I should do it right there
2) I want every release to be a bit of a bang as it might be awhile before another happens
3) I realise a decade of bad, lazy code designed for multiplayer-only games is not compatible with making it ai-nation single player friendly

All of the above applies in the latest version of Wargames 2. I'm still encountering my migration border bug so no change there, but I have been adding some new things.

A good example of how feature bloat works, this is my latest attempt to branch my tech tree in a programmer friendly fashion so I can code it better. Hard to believe but this is the best version I have right now!

One of the things that has been tricky in advancing Wargames 2 ai nations is simply the fact that I built the Wargames series to be multiplayer only. This lead to cheap, lazy code which when adding a thing here or there isn't a lot of time in the grand scheme of things, but once you get to wanting to automate a lot more, actually generates more code, more clocktime, and more processing. One of the things I've had to do is eliminate a lot of the bad code I've left in since the start.

Another example of how bad its got, here is my code being replaced for showing available research. Its quick, easy, copy pasta that is easy to replicate for a new feature - but its creating extra work! now, I just need to include research names, times and requirements and the computer does the rest for me! this also makes it ai nation compatible as it now recognises what it needs to do to get things moving.

Speaking of the ai, its now been included in the settings list. Remember you will need a Wargames 2 subscription (or Wargames Complete pack) to get full host features such as this. I still want to go further than this with the ai before release, such as being able to reasonably defend and build itself, and perhaps be aggressive. 'Free cities' similar to what you might recognise in a more modern 'civ' game with defensive units will probably be unlocked for everyone at this release - but if you want expanding ai you will need the subscription!

The latest settings window, though this may get some additional work. I still want to expand a bit of the global freezing/warming system so what you see here can be released for all users, and advanced settings for subs. I'm thinking of an "event" setting which can be used for other features as well. Perhaps... meteor strikes? :o

Finally, some of the ai in action, its taken a bit of work (ie, fixing my bad, lazy code) but it benefits both ai and players, and reduces the level of work to add new research, buildings and units. This makes likelyhood of fleshing out later eras, and perhaps new ones much quicker. I would like to add the "Renaissance" era to this update, if only as a "post-middle age" period for full research games. My hope is there will be some further fleshing out of the dark/middle ages in this update.

Additionally, I've finally upgraded Wargames 2 to have some sound effects, these are mostly menu features, and audio clues to notify you when research has finished, but its a start.

The nation on the left hand side is me, while the one in the right is the ai. We both started in the Paleolithic age, where they have expanded right to the end, researching all the tech currently available. It will build more advanced units if it has space, but there is a little bit more work to do to ensure it keeps defended with more than just cavemen. Also shown: loads of things that now have sound effects. Can you hear it? no? oh, yeah, its just a screenshot. Well just believe me, there is sound in this picture. Um. Game.

That's all I have for now, but its shaping up. If it takes me too much longer, I'll probably add a zip file for those wanting to try it out, before a formal hub page release.