ID:257825

Alright. I've been doing a fighter sprite for IainPreregrine's Jeet Kune Do fighting game, and well... I guess I've been having some problems with the animations.

Here's the walking animation. Something about his right leg is strange... I can't put my finger on it.

Here's the animation for one of his moves, where he spins his halberd (I actually know how to do this with a staff... but I haven't done kung fu in such a long time that I forgot what it was called). It is missing one frame (I'm still working on the frame). His arms don't look right, and I can't figure out why. >_>

Here's his sprite sheet. I do plan on filling up all of that empty space.
its the arms, your've over stretched on the 3rd frame..

also
look
its 3 face, 4 back faced..

so the timeing is off for the right flow, u need to sjust it and add in a new frame..

Or the 2nd frame need to be more twisted, as he dosnt twist in frames 1,2,3 but shoots into back face on 4,5,6,7..

3rd frame should be twisted to face forward more.., if u stand up and hold a stick and do the patten ur trying to do, and feel were your body pulls, u'll gain a better perspective of the angela u need to do and were the body twist and turns..

/////////////////////////////////////
Walking...

it looks like hes Side stepping insted of moveing forward.. because of the angel your doing it makes the perspective harder.. the left leg.. right leg.. O.o depends on how u are viewing the legs lol.. the 1 were the robe dosnt move much...

< ----- >
Left ----- Right

Fine ------ Need to be ajusted to move backwards or forwards then it should look like walknig insted of side hopping.. were not crabs just yet :-D
In response to Yurgeta
He's left handed and he's actually more like shuffling than walking. I'll try to fix the arms.

Now for the spinning halberd animation, I am adding a transitional frame between frames 3 and 4 to make the turning of his torso appear more smooth.
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
He's left handed and he's actually more like shuffling than walking. I'll try to fix the arms.

Now for the spinning halberd animation, I am adding a transitional frame between frames 3 and 4 to make the turning of his torso appear more smooth.

I think Yurg is right to an extent. I'd suggest, tho, it's the shoulders. In that third frame he mentions, the hands could anatomically be in the correct spot, but the left shoulder would be moved forward to reach that far. Try rotating the upper torso and head a bit amongst the frames. Right now the head and shoulders only move once between 7 frames. If you incorporate some twisting of the shoulders and some movement of the head (along with the indirect movement of the robe), I think you'll get some better flow.

My two cents. Animation is probably the hardest thing I've tried in pixel art so far. Gratifying, tho.
As long as I'm reading through this, I thought I'd post a bit of advice on making the character better for Jeet Kune Do. Characters in JKD arn't limited to any size whatsoever (except for practicle considerations, like fitting on screen, or walking up stairs), and attacks can be executed quite far away from the body. Take Carcass' sprite sheet for example. The attack you've posted, though looking excellent, would require him to be almost touching the enemy, and seems to make poor use of the reach of such a weapon.

That's not to say I don't like it, though. I'm very excited about having the character in JKD, I just wanted to give you a heads up about gameplay considerations before you finalized the character.
In response to IainPeregrine
I know. The attack is supposed to be close range, because it's multidirectional.