ID:2585120

Resolved
Improperly formatted DM-CSS could cause a hang in some cases.
BYOND Version:513
Operating System:Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 83.0.4103.116
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary: When BYOND encounters maptext that has CSS styling that is improperly formatted, Dreamseeker will hang, forcing it to be closed via task manager.

Note that in 512, the improperly formatted css does not cause this issue.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem: I've included a test environment that simulates the issue.

https://neus-projects.net/maptextcrash.rar

1) Load up Maptext Crash.dmb
2) Use the spawn_no_crash verb to spawn the maptext object that has been formatted correctly.
3) Use the spawn_crash verb to spawn the maptext object that was not; this will cause Dreamseeker to hang forever.

The text and formatting are from a player's profile. I preserved them as-is to put the environment together. The main difference between the two is that, in the non-crashing version, I have properly put semicolons after specific properties, namely font, color, etc.

Expected Results:
Dreamseeker does not hang when showing improperly formatted CSS. (Ideally, if it is improperly formatted, it compensates or just ignores it.)

Actual Results:
Dreamseeker does hang.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time.
In other games? Yes.
In other user accounts? Yes.
On other computers? Yes, this was happening to multiple people on 513.

When does the problem NOT occur?
When the CSS is formatted properly. While it is simple to correct the formatting manually, I would prefer if this had a failsafe because maptext that a user can customize will potentially have this issue, and preventing styling is not really a desired outcome.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

512 did not have this issue.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Improperly formatted DM-CSS could cause a hang in some cases.